Re: cloning the dead

Thanks for your reply Gregor.
This issue is raising some deeply disturbing  questions for me. Not on the
morality of cloning, but questions like "what is life", "what is not-life"?
Where does life "come from"?
I am not a biologist, and I may have some facts wrong, The following is my
understanding, I would be grateful for correction if necessary:

In the case of the white elephant below, pickled in alcohol for 100 years,
there is no way the material could be considered "alive". Or presumably in a
long dead mammoth
For cloning, I believe the nucleus of an egg, ie the DNA, is removed. Now
can that egg, without any DNA, without the ability to reproduce itself,
produce any biochemical material, be considered "alive? What "evidence" of
life does it manifest? If it is alive, what would it mean if it were to die?
If it is alive, it is completely anonymous life. isn't it?

So in cloning, the dead DNA is inserted in the modified, alive/dead egg.
Can anyone tell me what is the "clock" that starts the process of cell
division going? I would take this division process as evidence of the
presence of "life", whatever that is. Do Biologists actually know what life
is?

I realise these questions are not the usual ones put in GE discussions, and
my apologies if anyone thinks I'm wasting list space. But these are deeply
fascinating questions to me, and I would welcome anyone's input into the
issue.

Clive

On Friday 8th January Gregor Wolbring replied: