Re: Should we label turkey too?

Rick Roush fowarded:
> STUFF THE TURKEY
> December 25, 1999
> New Scientist
>
> Turkey, vegetables, stuffing and more besides are full of natural substances
> that give lab rats cancer, warn a group of New York scientists in a
> Christmas menu which they have designed to ridicule scare stories about
> pesticide residues in food and posted on the Internet.

That's old news (<=1996) from them.

> According to the menu published by the New York-based American Council on
> Science and Health

The CASH err ACSH is known as the classic example of a PR front group for
Corporate America.

> , roast turkey and beef contain natural heterocyclic
> amines, substances which trigger DNA mutations and cause cancer in rodents.
> Rats also develop cancer when fed with the dyestuff aniline, which occurs
> naturally in carrots. But if you're feeling particularly brave, eat
> stuffing. There's a whole range of nature's nasties in the bread, onions,
> celery, black pepper and mushrooms that cause cancer or DNA mutations in
> rodents. The stuffing ingredients include acetaldehyde, a toxic breakdown
> product of alcoholic drinks, benzo[*]pyrene, a potent carcinogen found in
> cigarette smoke, and ethyl carbamate, a natural pesticide.

What the ACSH omits is that these "natural nasties" are largely there due to
*artificial* treatments (pesticides etc.) and processing (*rasting* turkey!).

> Ruth Kava, director of nutrition at the American Council on Science and
> Health was quoted as saying, "We try to get across that just because
> something is synthetic, it's not inherently any more dangerous than
> something Mother Nature puts there herself."

So what ??  There may be a few "natural nasties" (arsenic is natural too..),
but this cannot justify  adding ANY SINGLE artificial 'nasty'!  Hardly anyone
will get cancer from eating organic carrots alone, but synthetic stuff and
artificial treatments cause virtually all cancers.

Chris