Re: New Novartis Patent, archive 2416

Hi Rick,
Concerning the efficiency:  I quote the patent: "The good action comprising of a
reduction rate of 40-50%" (p.60). In the biological examples (p121-129) this is
called "improved control as compared to non-transgenic controlplants on which the
Bt proteins were sprayed, in some cases with also a dose of thiamethoxam, which had
a reduction rate of not more than 60%.

Concerning the spidervernons, I wonder why these genes get patented if they are so
ineffective?  The whole list of genes with insecticidal properties show a lot of
genes that are suspicious as far as  allergenic and toxicological potential is
concerned.
I gave another example from the GE-kitchen in another message to the list.
I may write a cookbook of these marvellous new foods for the new millenium!
cheers,
wytze