Re: New Novartis Patent

Rick,
I'll withdraw the part of the statement you quote that refers to resistance to
Bt has developed. Indeed this can not be deduced from the patent. Nr. I of my
series on this patent needs to be edited. However, the patent at the least
shows in which way Novartis
is anticipating to combat upcoming resistancies, and does not exclude they
haven't or can't happen.
The efficiencymatter is different and unless someone shows me where I
completely miss on this, I see some highly confusing figures here.
The reduction of application rates is, like the other "advantages" one out of a
serie, that cannot be generalised. The applications and compositions of the
sprays etc. will greatly depend on local circumstances in the field.
What the patent does give is an insight in what we may expect in the coming
times.
Therefore, I have thought of a possible "second generation-gmo" example to
evaluate the synergistic effects on foodsafety:

1) A cabbage, made insect resistant(IR) and herbicide resistant (HR).
IR was induced by insertion of a genetic construct comprising of a
spidervernon, CaMV, and hygromycin resistancy as a selective marker. HR was
induced by Acetolactate synthethase. During the growing season, the cabbage was
sprayed with Ethamethsulfuron, Tribenuron and Dimethoxypyrimidines. To combat
some other pests a New! Novartis Spray was applied several times being a spray
comprising of 15% thiamethoxam, 20% organphosphorous compounds, 15% carbamates,
20% abamectin and 30%stabilizers, preservatives and antifoams.
Reported advantages of the cabbage is reduced attractiveness to birds and
prolonged shelf life.

wytze