patents

Hi,

Me too, I cannot understand the "explanations" of wytze. I hope he'll send more
easy explanations.

You write :
>had the patent laws in Europe been the same 500 years ago as
>they are now, Columbus and Isabella would have patented America.

Let me remind you that patents have durations.17 years in USA and 17 in EC.
The reason is that legislators wanted to conceal "particular interest"
and general interest.

So, had America been patented,  500 years ago, it would have fallen into public
domain.

Moreover, a patent is not a property. It's a guarantee by a state (the
extent is limited to a country, though there are agreements betwween
countries) to have the unique right to use an invention. This exclusivity is
buyable.

It is not a property beause it is limited in time (and surely other reasons).

Yet I think your point is not irrelevant, becaus,e we are enteringin
a conception of society where we will have (more and more) to define new areas
where patenting will be applied, so as to fuel multinationals.

After patenting technical inventions (long ago and I do not contest it),
we are allowing to patent living forms.

What next when all the patents actually discussed will have fallen
into the public domain ?????? Companies won't tolerate to be fueled
with less power than what they will have been accustomed to !

HLM