Re: Bt pesticides, archive 2357

Dear Rick

We know foods are full of naturally occurring chemicals/toxins e.g. potato, tomato.  Some foods are just within the bounds of being safe to eat. Most of us have consulted allergy dietitians and been through a process of elimination and challenges.  This protocol was developed by the Allergy Clinic at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney.

There are very few studies on the combination of naturally occurring substances in foods and added substances and herein lies a major problem with additives, agrochemical residues etc.  It is highly likely that the naturally occurring phenolic compounds in food will enhance the activity of bacteria added by man.  In fact, I have one such study here somewhere and will find it for you when I get a break in the traffic.  Currently, I am involved in some individual advocacy for a member of ASEHA who is being treated badly by the health care system. If she doesn't get some real help soon she will take her own life - and that, along with the Queensland Review of the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemical Control Act is taking up all of my time.

I object to anything being used on/in food that wasn't put there by nature.  Adding Bt toxins, antibiotic marker genes, enzymes to confer chemical resistance etc to food is absolute madness in my view.

Any testing done is only as good as the research questions asked.  If the right questions don't get asked we don't get the right answers.  Further, any research is limited by what is known at the time the research is done and within the limitations of the science involved.  It would be more honest for you to say - according to the assessments done we think the risks of Bt sprays are very low...  Toxicology and medicine are incomplete sciences.  Stuff ups are expensive in terms of health and quality of life (DES, thalidomide...)

Like fire, I believe science is a good servant but a bad master.  Unfortunately, overriding this is the holy dollar that seems to take precedence over all and is driving science too fast.  Lets have a moratorium on GE crops and gene technology in the food supply until we are sure that there is no harm to humans and sustainability is assured.  I don't think that is too much to ask.

No Rick, this is not just a GE thing.  I am very concerned about the use of food additives, agrochemical residues, food processing aids, food irradiation, food packaging, the quality of the air I breathe and the water I drink.

I don't want ANY nasty little surprises....

Dorothy

asehaqld@powerup.com.au