Re: B-GE: Halt to Dutch GE potatoes
- To: Ban-GEF@lists.greenbuilder.com, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: B-GE: Halt to Dutch GE potatoes
- From: wytze <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:19:59 +0100
- Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
- Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
- References: <38566F02.E7BB192D@zap.a2000.nl>
- Resent-From: email@example.com
Steef van Duin send me a message on the AVEBE potato.
I am afraid I have to correct the message I send. Apparently AVEBE is not going to stop but putting the development on hold. As soon as the EU becomes
more GE friendly they will pick up again. AVEBE now has a permit for 40 hectares fieldtrials. The investment in fieldtrials has been 4 million US$ for
the past eight years.
The cooperative keeps faith in GE. Too bad. Sorry for the wrong message earlier.
wytze with thanks to Steef.
> Dear all,
> In a small newspapermessage it was mentioned that Dutch
> potatocooperative AVEBE stops its project with GE amylopectine
> potatoes. AVEBE's GE potato was rejected in Brussels one year ago and
> this year the permission to continue the "field trial" (actually a
> commercial 1800 hectares) was not given by the Ministry of Environment.
> Nevertheless AVEBE announced just two months ago it wanted to continue
> the GE project, in spite of the possibility to breed a amylopectine
> potato with conventional breeding. Apparently they now changed their
> mind and dropped the whole project. The damage for the cooperative is US
> $ 7,5 million.
> For instructions on joining, leaving, or otherwise using the Ban-GEF list, send email to Ban-GEF@lists.txinfinet.com with HELP in the SUBJECT line.