QUestion : GMO and Biodiversity

In maize BT for instance, is the Gene inserted in many different
varieties or only in a single one owned by novartis ? Does that mean
that say if 30 % use BT corn, 30 % use the same variety ?
Is that linked to the Patent legal obligation ? (when the patent will be
over, any company may like to insert the BT gene into its own varieties,
and there will be plenty on the market) The patent namely rarely is
limited to the technique of insertion and is extended to the description
of the variety and inserting the gene in many varieties may necessitate
having several patents. ???????

I have also a question on rotation of crops and resistance to herbicids
but I start realising I should have checked the archives first. I
suppose I have to go on genetech site to do so.