Bt, GE Debate v0.2, archive 2277

>This means that, unlike the natural Bt toxin, the Bt corn toxin is
>something which has never existed in nature until Bt corn started
>synthesizing it. It is risky to put into our gut any substance which
>it has never seen before, and which we therefore did not evolve to
>handle. In our experience with synthetic chemicals, this has caused
>all kinds of long-term problems like cancers.
>
>Roberto Verzola

But your gut has seen it before, since both full length and truncated Bt
proteins exist in nature.

	*PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: rick.roush@adelaide.edu.au

Richard T. Roush
Associate Professor and Director          Phone +61 8 8303-6590
Centre for Weed Management Systems        FAX   +61 8 8303-7125
Waite Institute                                                  ;-_|\
University of Adelaide                                          /     \
Glen Osmond 5064                                               (       )
South Australia                                                 \_;-*_/
AUSTRALIA                                                           | v

                                                                Adelaide,
                                                             South Australia

"Weeds - Australia's most underestimated environmental threat"