Johnny's Selected (Genetically Engineered) Seeds? No Way!

forward from sanet, the sustainable ag list:

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:50:20 -0500
From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
To: Akiva Werbalowsky <awerbalo@calpoly.edu>
Subject: Johnny's Selected (Genetically Engineered) Seeds? No Way!
Sender: owner-sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu

If you have already received notice of this, please excuse the cross-posting.
I recently learned that Rob Johnston of Johnny's Seeds is considering
selllng genetically modified seeds. The escape of these seeds into the
environment could have potentially devastating consequences. I urge you
to write to him immediately to express your feelings. I am BCCing this
to most everyone on my list (more than 100 people and list serves) and
recommend you do the same. I personally intend to boycott their company
until I hear of a change in policy. The Carolina Farm Stewardship
Association recently circulated a petition critical of Johnny's policy
at their recent conference and 106  farmers signed it, including Elliot
Coleman. You can email Johnny's: <staff@johnnyseeds.com>
or fax them: 1-800-437-4299
or write to:

Rob Johnston, Jr.