From: Rick Roush <rroush@waite.adelaide.edu.au>
To: Clive Elwell <jevans@thenet.co.nz>
Date: Monday, 7 December 1998 18:10
Subject: rr soy phytoestrogen levels, archive/492

Dear Clive:

I'll be interested to see how your correspondents respond. My understanding is that standard NON-RR soybeans showed elevated phytoestrogen levels when sprayed with glyphosate. This is not an unexpected result since plant stress will induce such responses. The question here is what happens to RR soybeans when sprayed; due to their resistance, they seem much less likely to be stressed. My understanding is that in fact RR soybeans do NOT have elevated phytoestrogen levels compared to typical soybeans.

By the way, back on 29 Oct 1998 (archive 354), you asserted that the rr soybeans sold to Australia contained chemical residues of Roundup 200 times that of normal beans. Do you have evidence for this? It is true that the allowable residue levels for glyphosate (the active ingredient in Round-up) have been increased 200 fold (from the limit of detection, since there was no registration of Round-up on soybeans in Australia) to the internationally accepted Codex levels, but this is not anywhere the same as what you asserted.

Rick

From: "Clive Elwell" <jevans@thenet.co.nz>

Months ago I heard it claimed, from apparantly several sources, that rr soybeans had higher levels of phyto oestrogen than normal beans. I'd like to use this in a submission, but to do that I'd like a scientific reference to the fact. Can anyone point me in the direction of one?

Clive Elwell