unexpected effects from GE

Dear Rick

You wrote:
What would be the mechanism for the creation of "peak X" from the genetic engineering?

If you don't mind, let us step back, for the moment, from the specific issues of tryptophan and Bt toxin, and widen the issue somewhat.

I want to ask if you accept, or not, that the process of genetically engineering can, and does, bring about unexpected, unpredictable effects in the plants which are the recipients of foreign genes?

Perhaps I should make it clear that I am not an expert in the field of genetics, I've just done some reading on the issues this year, as a concerned, involuntary, consumer.

Clive Elwell