Re:Werner's comments on biopiracy

Yes, and I believe the governments should try to prevent the removal of
these materials by people from other countries, as they may be a resource
that will contribute to the economic wealth of that country, as well as to
its natural richness, which I believe is the more important. When I first
heard that American researchers were bringing plant stock back to their own
country to study, which I can understand, and to patent -- which is my
ignorance, I had no idea could be done, -- I was very shocked. I believe
that rights to all plant material should belong to the country, and if it
is desired to study them, they should acquire a license, under certain
conditions, from the government.
There may be laws in some places on this; I don't know.