Brit. Facts about GM foods, archive 455

Given that at least some of these facts aren't true, I have wonder
about the truth of the others!

>INDEPENDENT (London) November 30, 1998

>THE BAD NEWS.....

>Seeds genetically engineered to kill bad pests may kill the good
pests

>too, eg: potatoes which were engineered to kill aphids also killed

>beneficial ladybirds.

As I have said often on this server, these plants were experimental and
have little chance of every becoming crops.

>In the US, . 1 million acres of GM cotton which was supposed to be
resistant to

>bollworm was destroyed - by bollworm in 1996.

This is laughably not true; one million acres would have been most or
all of the crop!

>In Nebraska, cattle farmers faced a crisis when their cows stopped

>grazing because their corn fields had been growing GM corn and they
didn't

>like the taste.

I'd like to see where this comes from; generally (and certainly in
Nebraska) you don't graze corn with cattle or anything else!

> In the US a

>disease called EMS was eventually linked to a food supplement derived

>from genetically-modified bacteria. But, 36 people had dead and 1,500
were

>disabled.

Wrong again?  Has anyone bothered to follow-up on the following posting
from some months ago?

* <<shane.morris@ul.ie>

>Subject: L-Trytophan

>Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 12:04:09 +0100

>This is interesting! Any comments anyone?

>Shane Morris

>University of Limerick

>Web-site:  http://www.ul.ie/~biotech/

> REMADE FOOD SUPPLEMENT AS BAD AS BANNED ORIGINAL A

>     reformulated food supplement could contain harmful

>     contaminents similar to those found in an earlier banned

>     version of the product, according to US researchers. L-

>     trytophan, a naturally occurring amino acid, was banned in

>     1990 after the product was linked to a Japanese outbreak of a

>     rare blood disease called eosinophilia myalgia syndrome (EMS).

>     The outbreak affected 1,500 people and killed 30. Studies of

>     the product, which was promoted as a sleep and diet aid,

>     revealed it contained an unidentified contaminant nicknamed

>     'peak X'.  Scientists could not determine whether the

>     contaminant, or L-trytophan, or a combination of the two

>     caused the disease.  Several manufacturers have since

>     reformulated the product into brands containing 5-hydroxy-L-

>     trytophan. The product is widely available over-the-counter in

>     the US. Stephen Naylor and Gerald Gleich at the Mayo Clinic in

>     Minnesota examined six brands for traces of the original

>     contaminant. All six showed the 'peak X' signature, they said

>     on Monday 31 August. The levels varied between 3-15% of those

>     observed in a test on the original product. Gleich said they

>     were not aware of the new formulations being associated with

>     any outbreaks of EMS, but said the 'potential was there.' The

>     Food and Drug Administration said it had confirmed Naylor and

>     Gleich's findings, which are published in the September issue

                        *PLEASE NOTE THE ADDITION OF AN "8" TO OUR NUMBERS*

Richard T. Roush

Associate Professor and Director          Phone +61 8 8303-6591

Centre for Weed Management Systems        FAX   +61 8 8303-7125

Waite Institute                                                  ;-_|\

University of Adelaide                                          /     \

Glen Osmond 5064                                               (       )

South Australia                                                 \_;-*_/

AUSTRALIA                                                           | v

                                                                Adelaide,

                                                             South Australia

Cooperative Research Centre for Weed Management Systems:

http://www.waite.adelaide.edu.au/CRCWMS/

"Weeds - Australia's most underestimated environmental threat"