Re: Bio-pirates raid world's genetic bank

 >In an unprecedented gesture, the scientists decided to split the royalties
 >50-50 with the Kani tribe. There ensued a violent argument within the
 >tribe about who was to get the money, but that's another story.

I was just wondering... If a company patents a plant with the consent
of a tribe from whom it was taken, does that mean it isn't "biopiracy"
anymore?

Richard Stallman of MIT (of the Free Software Foundation fame)
suggests that "bioprivateering" is a more accurate term for the whole
thing. Whether the patent is in the name of a foreign or a local
company, whether the royalties are shared with locals or not, it is
privatization of biological materials, and it is still privateering,
in both senses of the word.

Roberto Verzola