Re: UC Finalizes Pioneering Research Deal, archive 427

After having read the whole article sent by Epstein, I am left wondering
what all of the fuss was about.  For those of you who are not familiar with
University administration, this is an excellent deal for the public. The
work is about understanding plant genomes, which has broad utility for
classical plant breeding, and is only tangentally related to transgenic
crops.  It would be far more useful for "marker assisted selection", which
is an application of molecular biology to classical breeding.  Most
importantly, "unrestricted" is a key word in agreements of this type;
Novartis has only the rights of first refusal to license patents.

Rick