proportions of GE crops

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 avalls@grn.es wrote:

> Two questions,
>
> Anybody know where I can get an idea of the percentages of GE crops
> being grown around the world in different countries?

I think this question has been answered before. Generally the percentages
can only be estimated. It's difficult to get a helpful answer because GE
companies are interested to exaggerate the numbers and many countries
don't monitor GMO cultivation at all.

Some helpful articles which I found in the GENTECH archive are:

http://gen.free.de/gentech/1997/Jul-Aug/msg00013.html
http://gen.free.de/gentech/1997/Jul-Aug/msg00012.html

> And a list of companies producing GE crops, such as Novertis, Monsanto
> etc.

I don't know a current summary but there are many sources available. One
good starting point may be:

http://base.icgeb.trieste.it:80/biosafety/

It would be useful to have something like a FAQ for such questions. Any
volunteers?

Werner