Rowett Research Services, Rowett Research Institute

"we carry out
       research for other UK government departments, the European Union,
       international agencies and industry world-wide."

                       Rowett Research Services

   Rowett Research Services Ltd. (RRS), our commercial subsidiary,
   undertakes contract research and consultancy in the biotechnological,
   pharmaceutical, food and agricultural sciences. It has direct access
   to all Institute staff and facilities.

   RRS offers commerce access to state-of-the-art facilities, world world
   class expertise, for analysing, testing and developing pharmaceutical,
   agricultural and food products. The RRS technology transfer process is
   based on forming relationships with companies to develop Rowett IPR
   and know-how.

   RRS is unique in offering all stages of biotechnology service on one
   site:
     * Theoretical research
     * Laboratory analysis
     * Small and large animal studies
     * Human volunteer studies.

  RRS is working with industry on:

     * Drug development
     * Clinical trials for nutrition-related therapies
     * Diagnosis of bone disorders
     * Obesity and appetite control
     * Novel approaches to muscle analysis and meat quality
     * Animal feed supplements (e.g. probiotics and enzymes)
     * Functional foods.

   For more information on the Institute or its commercial subsidiary,
   please contact:

   External Affairs Manager
   Rowett Research Institute
   Greenburn Road
   Bucksburn
   Aberdeen AB21 9SB
   Scotland, UK

   Tel: +44 (0)1224 712751
   Fax: +44 (0)1224 715349

   E-mail: rrs@rowett.co.uk
   http://www.rowett.co.uk/

==========================

                     (RRI Logo) Rowett Research Institute

Leading international research in Nutritional Sciences.

Investigating the Links between Health, Food & Agriculture.

A few facts

   The Rowett Research Institute is an internationally recognised centre
   for research in human and animal nutrition and biological sciences of
   relevance to health, food and agriculture
     * We investigate the relationship of diet to health and disease
       states, and the biochemical mechanisms which control growth and
       reproduction.
     * We were established in 1913 and now employ 300 staff, some 80 of
       whom are post-doctoral research scientists.
     * We receive grant-in-aid from the Scottish Office Agriculture,
       Environment and Fisheries Department. In addition, we carry out
       research for other UK government departments, the European Union,
       international agencies and industry world-wide.
     * Many of our staff are advisors and consultants for international
       organisations. In 1992, for example, we established a Health and
       Nutritional Status Advisory Unit (HANSA) at the request of the
       WHO. This monitored the nutritional status of distressed
       communities in the former Yugoslavia and assessed the
       effectiveness of relief measures.
     * Many of our research programmes are funded by industry. Patents
       have been granted for several discoveries; others are pending.
     * We are a founder member of the Boyd Orr Research Centre (BORC) for
       Nutrition and Food Sciences, part of the Aberdeen Research
       Consortium. BORC was awarded Collaborating Centre Status by the
       WHO in 1994.
     * We play an active role in both training and teaching, typically
       hosting around 100 PhD and MSc students.
     * We collaborate with over 160 universities, institutes and other
       organisations in the UK and world-wide, and have formal alliances
       with the INRA, France and the Animal Resources Research Centre in
       South Korea.

Scientific Programme

   Our integrated approach to science allows us to apply research
   findings to both humans and animals. We aim to: Enhance food quality,
   improve health standards and enhance the efficiency of animal
   production. Our research spans seven areas of nutrition.
     * Appetite Control and Energy Balance
       What controls appetite?
       How do nutrients provide energy and help growth?
     * Digestion and Intestinal Function
       How does the body break down food?
       Which genes code for the enzymes that break down fibre?
       How can we help ruminants digest forage foods?
       How do plant proteins protect humans from infection?
     * Amino Acid Metabolism
       How can we increase the ratio of protein to fat in meat and milk?
       How can we assess meat quality before cooking?
     * Controlling Reproduction and Food Intake
       How do hormones regulate seasonal breeding in animals?
       How is appetite controlled by daylight?
     * Maternal and Fetal Nutrition
       How are nutrients transferred from mother to fetus?
       How does a pregnant mother's diet control the health of her
       children?
     * Free Radicals and Fat Metabolism
       How do vitamins protect against cancer and heart disease?
       Can dietary antioxidants affect the ageing process?
     * Bone Growth and Turnover
       How can we detect the early stages of bone disease?
       How are bone formation and breakdown regulated?

Facilities and Resources

   Our research is supported by state-of-the-art facilities for molecular
   and cell biology and by sophisticated analytical, mass spectrometry
   and image analysis equipment.

   Our residential Human Nutrition Unit is equipped for dietary and
   metabolic studies with healthy volunteers. Whole-body, indirect
   calorimeters measure energy expenditure. A 250 hectare farm provides

   livestock and crops for our studies.

   For more information on the Institute or its commercial subsidiary,
   please contact:

   External Affairs Manager
   Rowett Research Institute
   Greenburn Road
   Bucksburn
   Aberdeen AB21 9SB
   Scotland, UK

   Tel: +44 (0)1224 712751
   Fax: +44 (0)1224 715349

   E-mail: enquiries@rri.sari.ac.uk
   http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk

   The Institute was established in 1913 to conduct research into
   nutrition and health.