Re: Blaylock - Part 1 (Mission Possible Radio transcript - aspartame with particular attention to seizures and other hazards to aviation)

Dear Lisa:  I thank you so much for the transcript from Dr. Blaylock's
interview on Mission Possible Radio.  I know that Dave Rietz will put it on
www.dorway.com and Jon Baum will put it on aspartamekills.com, and
hopefully Mark Gold and others.  Because Dr. Blaylock answered so many of
the questions that have been raised of late I'm going to put it on some of
the lists. Several people have been waiting for it because of information
on pilots, and some did not have audio to access it on the web sites,
Dorway and aspartamekills.  We hope all will spread it around.  Dr. Russell
Blaylock is a neurosurgeon and author of Excitotoxins:  The Taste That
Kills. Please also spread to newsgroups.

Regards,
Betty           At 01:46 PM 7/12/98 -0400, you wrote:
> [...]

>growth, so this is a very important area of the brain and we know that
>phenylalanine can severely alter that and that's one of the components of
>NutraSweet.  We know that the exitatory type transmitter is critical in that
>area of the brain so any alteration in its concentration, for example
aspartic
>acid in NutraSweet can alter that function in the hypothalamus and as I said
>it affects the autonomic system as well and there may be some important
>connection between the accumulation of these chemicals in the hypothalamus
and
>sudden cardiac death and that's something that I'm researching for this new
>book that I'm working on at the present time.
>
>JON BAUM:  What is the connection between aspartame and MS?
>
>DR. BLAYLOCK:  Well, what we know about MS is during the periods of
>exacerbation, that is when the symptoms get worse, the barrier system around
>the parts of the brain that contains the nerve fibers, that is the myelin,
>this tends to break down.  When that breaks down any substance in the blood
>can enter that part of the brain so that if your blood has high
concentrations
>of phenylalanine, or aspartic acid and methanol, it's going to seep through
>these holes or openings in this barrier system and go directly into the
>damaged areas of the brain and greatly aggravate it.  A person may have what
>we call subclinical MS. That is they're not even aware they have it.  When
>they drink NutraSweet they'll develop all of the symptoms of full blown MS
and
>become deathly ill. There's some evidence that NutraSweet in a person that
>consumes a large concentration can develop an MS-like syndrome, that is they
>develop a lot of the symptoms of MS that is purely due to the toxic
affects of
>the compononents of NutraSweet.
>
>BETTY MARTINI:  Dr. Blaylock, we have just been flooded with complaints from
>pilots. Three American Airline pilots that were heavy users of aspartame have
>died.  One just recently had a stroke and some have said that pilots affected

>by disorientation, blindness, vertigo and other neurological symptoms are in
>fact suffering from hypoglycemia. Is that true?
>
>DR. BLAYLOCK:  Well, this is something that I had explored early on that
>really was not being paid any attention to was the connection bwteen
>hypoglycemia and aspartame toxicity, and what we find is that all
exitotoxins,
>their toxic effect is greatly magnified in the presence of hypoglycemia. For
>instance let's say a pilot is trying to make a schedule, he skips breakfast
>instead he has a diet cola with NutraSweet. His blood sugar is going to be
low
>but he would be essentially asymptomatic or just maybe feel a little
hungry or
>slightly weak from it but with that hypoglycemia in the presence of
NutraSweet
>he would develop a full blown syndrome of exposure to NutraSweet with
>disorientation, blurred vision, confusion, may have vertigo, that is the
>sensation of dizziness. All of these things may become full blown in the
>presence of hypoglycemia that may be the connection between the two.  There's
>also evidence that NutraSweet itself may trigger a hypoglycemic reaction so
>that at that point if the pilot was to drink NutraSweet, it could induce
>hypoglycemia and again that would compound the toxic effect the of
NutraSweet.
>So that could be the connection there.
>
>BETTY MARTINI:  Is it depleting glucose in the brain?  Is that how it works?
>
>DR. BLAYLOCK:  Yes, it's denying glucose to brain cells and of course glucose
>is the primary fuel for the brain and without glucose most people would
>quickly lapse into a coma. So its very important that the blood sugar
falls in
>low or even moderately low levels in the presence of a neurotoxin like one of
>these exitotoxins.  It can produce rather profound confusion, disorientation
>and visual difficulties and of course they're at a very high
susceptibility to
>seizure at that point, so if the blood sugar is low and they're taking in
>something that we know lowers the seizure threshold, they are at a very high
>risk of developing seizures.  So I think that to allow pilots to continue
this
>practice is extremely hazardous considering that they are responsible for
>hundreds of people on the plane, you know that's just irresponsible.
>
>BETTY MARTINI:  How about the wood alcohol and the altitude.  Does the
>altitude play a part in this?
>
>DR. BLAYLOCK:  Well, the wood alcohol of course is a very powerful neurotoxin
>and we know that it's especially toxic to the optic nerves and what
happens in
>the case of NutraSweet is that it's an esterified methanol, that is its what
>binds the phenylalanine to the aspartic acid but once in the body it quickly
>breaks down so that it accumulates directly in the tissues and can produce
>significantly high levels within the tissues.  So that would affect the
pilots
>vision.  We don't really know the additive affect of phenylalanine with the
>neurotoxin methanol and aspartic acid because we do know from other
>experiments that neurotoxins tend to have additive effects when they're
>combined so to put three neurotoxins into one compound is going to greatly
>magnify its toxic effect much moreso than the individual compounds
themselves.

> [...]

>cropping up a lot and I don't know what it is about Crystal Light but we have
>certainly a lot of seizures are being reported with the use of that compound,
>I mean that particular substance.  But in this man he had an abnormal
>condition of his brain which was a little abnormal vein deep in his brain
>which in most people you wouldn't even know you had it and could go through
>life never having a single symptom, but he was consuming, at that point, a
>large amount of Crystal Light sweetened with NutraSweet and he developed a
>grand mal seizure.  When this lesion was found it was not necessary to be
>surgicaly treated because it was a benign condition.  All they did was take
>him off NutraSweet and the seizures cleared up.  There is a lot of conditions
>like this.  You could have scars in your brain and for instance during a
>difficult birth sometimes it will produce a small scar in the brain that may
>be completely without any symptoms and you'd never know you had it, but if
you
>were exposed to something like NutraSweet which lowers your seizure
threshold,
>out of the blue you'll have a seizure. Now, these are the types of things
that
>we don't know beforehand that makes certain groups of people highly
>susceptible to seizures.  And this may be happening in some of the pilots.
>They may have lesions in their brain that no one would have any way of even
>knowing it was there, until they're exposed to NutraSweet under these
>conditions, and then they have full blown seizures.

>JON BAUM:  I believe an acquaintance of mine came by my office and told me
>about a horrific experience he had with one bottle of Crystal Light, and he
>was driving home on Route #66 and started having convulsions.  He was
lucky he
>pulled his truck over.
>
>DR. BLAYLOCK:  I don't know what it is about Crystal Light, whether they
use a
>higher dose or what but it certainly crops up a lot.  Another interesting
>story I had, I did a radio program in another city and I was talking to the
>station manager and he said while we were talking before the program, he said
>you know I've been on a diet, and I'm using NutraSweet, and he said I've
had a
>lot of problems with my memory, I get disoriented, confused, he said "Do you
>think it could be that?"  And of course I took him off of it and his
condition
>cleared up.  But you know, this is just so common. These symptoms are the
most
>common symptoms reported to the FDA and we're talking about thousands and
>thousnds of complaints around the nation every year and most of them have to
>do with the nervous sytem. I catalouged them according to their system in the
>body and in fact by far the majority of the symptoms are in the central

z***************************************************************************
**
1. Take the 60-day No Aspartame Test and send us your case history.
Mission Possible International
5950-H State Bridge Rd.  #215
Duluth, GA 30097  USA
2. Tell your doctor and all of your friends!
3. Return Asparcidal food to the store.
(anything with Monsanto's NutraSweet/Equal/Spoonful/Benevia/NatraTaste)
VISIT http://www.dorway.com/possible.html Get links to over 30 sites
VISIT http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/   ..FAQs & Cases
VISIT http://www.notmilk.com Exposing Bovine Growth Hormone
Disability and Death are not acceptable costs of business!