US govt pressure on Bt Maize rejection in Europe - nice quote

When the GP Austria had a meeting with the US
Embassy in Vienna the other day, they were reassured that the US
govt or USDA was not threatening World Trade Organisation
or other legal action as a rsult of Austria's ban on the
import of Bt maize (corn).    Similarly, the European Commission
has been trying to minimise any suggestion that US pressure is
being applied.   Compare this with the following from
European Report no 2215 April 12 1997 p 15.  I particularly like
the bit about GE crops being more attractive; they don't seem to
be attracting many Europeans.

....Washington is concerned about the restrictions, in the
guise of health standards, on imports of farm products,
including products containing GMOs, imposed by some Memeber
States "We have succeeded in developing more attractive
agricultural raw materials by the use of genetic engineering"
said Jeffrey Lang, the US deputy Trade Representative.  He noted
that although these products have been approved by European
authorities, they are still restricted by some Member States.
Mr Lang, commenting that Europe must explain its
actions, indicated that this issue would be on the agenda for
discussions within the framework of the WTO scheduled to resume
shortly.

Peter Morris, GE Campaigner, Greenpeace Int, Amsterdam
voice: +31 20 5249529   email: pmorris@ams.greenpeace.org