Fwd: Greenpeace GE campaign update...

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	rts@gn.apc.org (Reclaim The Streets)
To:	rts@gn.apc.org
Date: 97-04-09 15:00:17 EDT

    _
>Dear Colleagues
>Herewith the lastest update from the Greenpeace GE campaign.

>EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT RESOLUTION EXPECTED
>This week the European Parliament is expected to vote on the
>resolution condemning the European Commission for acting unilaterally
>and ignoring 13/15 member states over Bt Maize.  This is likely to
>have no amendments and to be supported by all parties.  Final wording
>of the resolution will be circulated, and the resolution used in
>campaign work right around Europe. .. stop press: overwhelming vote
>against GE Maize!!
>
>EUROPEAN COMMISSION ANNOUNCES NEW LABELLING LAWS
>The European Commission last week announced its new laws on labelling
>for GMOs.  These laws are very weak, and would not even cover products
>currently listed, including the Bt Maize or the RRS soya beans.  It
>would not give the consumer a choice nor would it lead to segregation.
>   Greenpeace has roundly criticised it.
>
>US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE TO MEET EU OFFICIALS
>The US Department of Agriculture has summoned European Union officials
>to a meeting in Washington 17-18 April to discuss GE, and to put more
>pressure on the Commission to authorise more GE and to reject Article
>16.  The US is using the argument that the Commission breaches the WTO
>and threatens to take the Commission to court over it.
>
>AUSTRIA GOES INTO REFERENDUM
>The people of Austria vote this week on whether they want GMOs.  The
>Austrian office's public work has placed GMO's at number one on the
>media agenda.  As one campaigner said "Austria joining NATO?  Not an
>issue -- just GE".   GP Austria's press conference last week with UK
>scientist Mae-Wan Ho on the worst case scenario was extremely well
>covered.   The chances of the referendum going our way are very, very
>good.  All recent polls show that between 75-86% of the Austrian
>population objects to GE in food and agricultural products.  Between
>40-55% of the voting public have said they will take part in the
>referendum.  The results will be announced at 8 pm on April 14.
>Meanwhile the largest dairy company in Austria, Berglandmilch,  has
>announced it will be GE free.  It supplies 50% of the Austrian market
>and has export markets right around Europe.
>
>SWISS TOBLERONE WITHDRAWN/COURT CASE OUTCOME
>Swiss food processor Kraft Jakob Suchard, after a spot-check,
>discovered GE lecithin in their factory.  As a result they withdrew
>all the contaminated stock off the shelves.   The stock happened to be
>their most famous brand, Toblerone chocolate.  KJS have gone GE free
>and have also gone to great lengths to get the contaminated stock
>back, including all exports.  Unfortunately the news spread to
>Austria, Germany and Sweden where retailers were rejecting all
>Toblerone.  After discussions with the company, Greenpeace put out a
>press release congratulating KJS for acting in a responsible manner,
> [...]
RTS now run a genetics information email list.
If you would like to be on it (and are not already) reply putting 'Subscibe
Genetics' in the subject box.
If you have anything to contribute to the list then send it in and it will
be forwarded - unedited wherever possible.
Please do not send attachments (so as to avoid virus), instead just add text
to emails main body. Many thanks.
Reclaim the Streets
PO BOX 9656
London