No Subject

Subject: GEFs: Applying direct consumer pressure to food producers

>       by spuddy.mew.co.uk (8.8.5/8.8.5) id BAA03881;
>       Thu, 3 Apr 1997 01:05:14 +0100 (BST)

>I was sitting waiting for my toast to pop-up this lunchtime, idly reading
>the margarine tub(!), when I noticed that it had a freephone consumer
>hotline number on it.
>
>(For those that care, it was Olivio (part of Van den Bergh) 0800 616030)
>
>So I phoned up to ask them whether there were, or would be, any
>genetically-engineered foodstuffs (GEFs) in my margarine.
>
>This didn't faze them _quite_ as much as I would have thought (which might
>be a positive sign?), but the helpline person couldn't answer my query so
>her manager phoned me back a few minutes later.
>
>I quizzed her regarding GE-soya and GE-maize (but forgot to ask about olive
>oil, the main ingredient (duh), but that's still 'safe', isn't it? ;-) and
>she said that there were no GE ingredients at present, and that their
>supplies of natural soya lecithin should last until the end of the year.
>
>She added that after this, the situation (regarding supplies) was sort of up
>in the air, but that VdB had no objections to biotechnology in foods (so
>this probably means that they will happily accept GEFs in due course..)
>She also said that they had tried to exert pressure on the soya growers for
>segregation last year (did they?) but to no avail.
>
>I tried to point out that biotechnology isn't necessarily intrinsically
>bad (just my view, ok!), but that when they start adding genes from
>radically different species (such as viruses, etc), that starts to put me
>off my food, as it were! I'm not sure if that point sunk in.

>Anyway, the main point of this article is to wonder if it worthwhile having
>a major "informed consumer" campaign at food producers?
>
>(I know that GP and RTS in particular have done a lot of work on GEFs so far,
>but I'm getting a little swamped in doom-and-gloom emails and starting to
>feel a little disempowered. What we really need is something relatively
>simple that we can get lots of people to do!)

(sorry but this is rts GE email person butting in- the supermarket actions
that I have been sending out info on seem to be the answer, but of course I
am biased)

>Obviously, I've just come across the one freephone number so far, but there
>must be hundreds of them out there on different food products.
>
>I think it would be a good idea for somebody who has more time(!) to devote
>to this issue to collate a list of food producers' freephone numbers (and
>email addresses, if applicable) and post it to the gsn-list, the GEF-list,
>etc, so that people can phone up, make enquiries, make their views known
>and generally try to exert pressure on food producers to avoid buying any
>GEFs at all, or to put pressure on the growers to segregate their
>foodstuffs and continue to sell guaranteed GEF-free products.
>

>--
>David Marsh.      dmarsh@pobox.co.uk    (dmarsh@spuddy.mew.co.uk)         //
>Glasgow/Glaschu   *Please phone if urgent message: 0141 636.6084.*      \X/
>CYCLEWAY, UK cycle activism index:      http://home.ml.org/squelch/cycleway/
>          [Actively seeking work: see http://home.ml.org/squelch/]
>:::---- Call Spuddy on 01268 515441 for  FREE  email and news access ----:::
>"Soon you will learn to appreciate me." <Jabba>

RTS now run a genetics information email list.
If you would like to be on it (and are not already) reply putting 'Genetics'
in the subject box.
If you have anything to contribute to the list then send it in and it will
be forwarded - unedited wherever possible.
Please do not send attachments (so as to avoid virus), instead just add text
to emails main body. Many thanks.
Reclaim the Streets
PO BOX 9656
London