Labelling in the UK

I have just heard from a friend in the UK:

 last week the Institute of Grocery Distribution published its
>voluntary guidelines on labelling GM foods and providing consumer
>information. These go beyond what is required by law (and by the new EU
>Novel Foods Regulation). We have been working on them for several years

>Essentially, any product that contains novel DNA (viable or not), or any
>product with changed properties that are due to GM (regardless of whether
>any DNA remains) will be labelled. The agreed wording is "Contains (or is
>made from) genetically modified X".
>
>Virtually all UK food retailers and producers have signed up to this code.
>A major achievement, I think.

Good news !!

Janelle

Janelle Kennard
Education Officer, CRC for Plant Science       The "GREEN MACHINE"
                                               CSIRO Science Education Centre
Phone/Fax: (06) 246 5279                       GPO Box 1600
Janelle.Kennard@anu.edu.au                     Canberra  ACT  2601
http://biology.anu.edu.au/GreenMachine.html