GENTECH archive 8.96-97
Roundup patent expiry date?
- To: Ban-GEF@lists.txinfinet.com, email@example.com
- Subject: Roundup patent expiry date?
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org (William Hite)
- Date: Wed, 23 Oct 96 10:58 BST-1
- Cc: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Reply-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
I think I read somewhere that Monsanto's patent on Roundup will expire
soon and that its revenues from that source would therefore drop
rapidly as other manufacturers starting selling it.
An unscrupulous company, not that I am suggesting Monsanto is, would be
well prepared for this event if:
1) it had developed a follow on to Roundup, perhaps neither as good nor
2) had found a way of making the world's weeds resistant to Roundup.
3) had developed technology to put arbitrary herbicide resistance
4) had developed skills in averting the potential public disapproval
of its techniques (see BST and dairy farmers for instance).
Can anyone confirm the patent expiration date for Roundup? Does anyone
know what is Monsanto's publicly declared strategy for that event?
William |WRC Solutions: Computer Consultants|Tel (+44)(0)1695 50470
Hite |MS-Office, Visual Basic, FTR, Text |Fax (+44)(0)1695 720889