Fwd: Man is not god - Greenpeace Action goes to church!

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	rts@gn.apc.org (Reclaim The Streets)
To:	rts@gn.apc.org
Date: 97-03-26 21:46:44 EST

>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:24:47 +0000
>From: Jim.Thomas@uk.greenpeace.org (Jim Thomas)

>Press release
>of 26th March 1997
>
>Greenpeace campaign: Cologne Cathedral as a symbol of protest against
>genetic manipulation of plants and animals.
>
>Cologne, 26th March 1997.  50 activists from the environmental
>protection organisation Greenpeace today demonstrated in and around
>Cologne Cathedral against genetic manipulation of living creatures.
>Greenpeace members climbed up the exterior of the two towers of the
>Cathedral, attaching a banner with the words
>
>"Man is not God - down with genetic manipulation".
>
>Greenpeace considers the numerous genetic engineering projects to
>constitute a threat to biodiversity, ecological systems and hence also
>creation. "We do not want to attack the Catholic church," says Joerg
>Naumann, genetic engineering expert at Greenpeace, "we merely want to
>show that we have reached a cross-roads. If we don't do something now,
>genetic engineering will pervade our entire lives and not just our
>food." Greenpeace has been fighting for months to prevent the
>introduction of genetically engineered soybeans in food. As recently
>as on 21st March, Toblerone chocolate in Switzerland was found to
>contain genetically engineered soybeans, forcing the producer to
>withdraw roughly 500 tons of chocolate from the market. Greenpeace is
>also attempting to prevent the cultivation of genetically engineered
>maize in Europe, contending that Europeans must be given the choice
>between genetically engineered and natural food. Most of the genetic
>engineering projects in the agricultural industry do not have any
>benefits for consumers. All they do is boost the profits of chemical
>companies such as Monsanto or Novartis (Ciba-Geigy and Sandoz). The
>cloning of Dolly the sheep proves that there are no limits to the
>experiments performed by scientists on genetic material. Dolly merely
>involved the transfer of genetic material in sheep. However,
>researchers in Poland are already experimenting with human growth
>genes in carp, while scientists in Scotland are implanting human genes
>in cattle. These super-animals and plants pose a threat to
>agricultural biodiversity and the wealth of life in natural ecological
>systems. The chemical companies will not abandon these projects unless
>they are unable to sell any genetically engineered products, e.g. in
>the food area. To this end, the concentrated resistance of our entire
>society is necessary. Here as well, Greenpeace sees the church as
>having an ethic duty to support the opponents of genetic engineering.
>

>Information: +49 - 40 - 306 18 395
>
>A message from Greenpeace:
>

>Dear visitors to Cologne Cathedral and citizens of Cologne,
>
>The international environmental organisation Greenpeace is at Cologne
>Cathedral today to demonstrate against the genetic manipulation of
> [...]
RTS now run a genetics information email list.
If you would like to be on it (and are not already) reply putting 'Genetics'
in the subject box.
If you have anything to contribute to the list then send it in and it will
be forwarded - unedited wherever possible.
Reclaim the Streets
PO BOX 9656
London
N4 4JY