Fwd: biggest Austrian dairy company goes GE-free!!!!

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	rts@gn.apc.org (Reclaim The Streets)
To:	rts@gn.apc.org
Date: 97-03-26 21:48:17 EST

>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 12:44:32 +0000
>From: Jim.Thomas@uk.greenpeace.org (Jim Thomas)
>Subject: biggest Austrian dairy company goes GE-free!!!!
>
>Dear all,
>
>this is to inform you of another milestone achievement of the
>Austrain GE campaign.
>
>The Austria's biggest dairy company (products:
>milk, cheese, yoghurts and any other milk-based product you can think
>of) is announcing TODAY that it has a GE-free policy, that it is
>basically today GE-free and plans to stay GE-free in the future.
>
>The company called Berglandmilch (which roughly translates to
>mountain milk) has a market share of 50 %(!!) in Austria and also
>exports some of their production to otehr European countries (in
>particular germany but also Spain, Switzerland, Italy etc.)
>It uses two brand names "Schaerdinger" and "Desserta" on their
>dairy products. (The company  name "Berglandmilch " is never used.)
>
>We have been working with this company for some weeks (to check their
>product line!)  and have an
>excellent insight into ALL their product compositions. In a stunning way
>Berglandmilch has given us ANY insight in their product quality
>management  we asked for (I have NOT seen anything like that in the
> six years I worked for GP).
>
>GE-free, what does this mean in this case:
>
>Berglandmilch uses it in the most stringent way there is:
>
>1) No animal feed containing GE-components (no ge-soy, no ge-produced
>vitamins (f.e. B12), no GE-produced enzymes, NO GE-produced
>additives)
>
>2) no GE-enzymes in their products (f.e. NO GE-chymosin
>(cheese-enzyme) in any of their products)
>
>3) no living GMOs in their dairy products (f.e. for cheese, joghurts, etc.)
>
>4) no GE-produced food additives in their products (f.e. no
>artificial flavours, vitamines, modified starches, enzymes, etc.)
>
>They also have a very tight quality managment programm to check their
>coimmittment in the future
>
>Initially Berglandmilch discussed a more planned release of their
>GE-free policy  but due to massive political interventions
>and lobbying to STOP them there plans changed practically several
>times a day for the last three weeks.
>
>Yesterday at a totally different press conference their chair of the
>board "leaked" their plans (nobody knows why) and today they'll go
>out big.
>We'll "congratulated" them on their decision.
>
>This message is to give you the first background info so you can think
>WHEN and HOW they can use this info (which I don't think is the big
>news story outside Austria TODAY) but definitely an excellent lobby
>tool (both politically and for market work) in many countries for the
>days and weeks to come.
>
>Berglandmilch (turnover about 800 million US$) is - to my knowledge -
>the first big(ger) company that kicked out all GE-realted products
>out of a pretty big product range. They therefore show that what we
> [...]
RTS now run a genetics information email list.
If you would like to be on it (and are not already) reply putting 'Genetics'
in the subject box.
If you have anything to contribute to the list then send it in and it will
be forwarded - unedited wherever possible.
Reclaim the Streets
PO BOX 9656
London
N4 4JY