Re: Andy's bye for now..

I think Andy's comments about the seriousness of the threat of genetically
engineered foods should be heeded. Most people who are working on the issue
realize that labeling is not enough. However, we need to be realistic about
the situation. It is hard enough to get labeling laws; I fear a complete
ban, however worthy, is next to impossible, at least until after some major
disaster.

What I hope Andy will think about is the relation between genetic
engineering and the environment. I personally consider genetic engineering
to be THE MAJOR THREAT to the environment. Recent research clearly shows the
unprecented and irreversible damage it can cause to major ecosystems and the
biosphere.

Dr Ron Epstein

Philosophy Department			Institute for World Religions
College of Humanities			2304 McKinley Avenue
San Francisco State University		Berkeley, CA 94703
San Francisco, CA 94132			(510) 848-3440
(415) 338-3140
e-mail: epstein@athena.sfsu.edu

See: "Genetic Engineering and Its Dangers"
http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~rone/Genetic%20Engineering.htm