Re: FOEE Mailout

Hi,

I have a specific question from the following text, which appears to
contradict another posting -

>  FRIENDS OF THE EARTH EUROPE					 BIOTECHNOLOGY
>  PROGRAMME
>
>   Mailout Vol. 3 (1997), Issue 1, 31st January 1997
>
> <snip>
>
>  Concerns about the antibiotic :
>
>  There is no evidence that genes from plants have been ever transferred
>  under natural conditions to bacteria.

And from another previous posting by "andy" at South Downs EF!
(<savage@easynet.co.uk>) ...

> TRANSFER OF FOREIGN GENE TO MICRO-ORGANISM
> It was reported in 1994 that gene transfer can occur from plants to
> micro-organisms. Genetically engineered oilseed rape, black mustard,
> thorn-apple and sweet peas all containing an antibiotic-resistance gene
> were grown together with the fungus Aspergillus niger or their leaves
> were added to the soil. The fungus was shown to have incorporated the
> antibiotic-resistance gene in all co-culture experiments (Hoffmann T,
> Golz C & Schieder O (1994) Foreign DNA sequences are received by a
> wild-type strain of Aspergillus niger after co-culture with transgenic
> higher plants. Curr. Genet. 27: 70-76.). It is worth noting that micro-
> organisms can transfer genes through several mechanisms to other
> unrelated micro-organisms.

I release gene transfer did not occur to *bacteria*, but since
transfer did occur to different micro-organisms, it doesn't seem a
huge leap of faith for a layman like myself to assume it *may* be
possible to directly or indirectly spread to bacteria.

Any comments?

Thanks in advance

   Jon Buckingham

   Northavon Friends of the Earth