RE: Why Labelling of Genetically Modified Organisms is Pointles

I was most interested to read the post from Andy, containing many
references I hadn't got and describing some ideas I hadn't considered
(I'm new to this list, by way of introduction, I'm a science educator
for the CSIRO in Canberra, Australia so I'm very interest to hear your
viewpoints.)

I'd like to comment on :

>Thus it is likely that
>as large numbers of humans consume CaMV modified tomatos recombination
>between CaMV and hepatitis B viruses will take place creating a
>supervirus propagated in plants, insects and humans.

While  I appreciate the ability of CaMV and hepatitis B to recombine,
possibly creating a "super" hep. B, I wonder two things - firstly
how/where the recombination event could occur (it is my understanding
that the CaMV promoter, along with all the other DNA we eat, would be
rapidly degraded in the gut.  Can recombination occur between EATEN DNA
and DNA in virus' in the blood/body (isn't this quite a physiological
separation ??) - does any one know of any studies?)
Secondly, dosen't hep B already have  a very strong promoter ??  This is
a sure feature of all virus', crucial for their survival.

Janelle
Life comes with no instruction book.
						- Some make their own rules,
										Others enjoy the freedom.