GENTECH archive 8.96-97

[Index][Thread]

Re: Letter to European Parliament



Hi,

sorry for not stating this explictely, I only forwarded the letter which
was set up
by the Natural Law Party and sent to every member of the EU-parliament.
You can contact the responsible person directly: 

Jan M.J. Storms: storms@pi.net

However, as I understand, the following is meant:

Proponents of Gene food often claim that for instance soybean oil 
does not contain any proteins and therefore it does not matter from 
which plant it is derived, from herbicide resistant soybeans 
or from usual soybeans. Now processed foods are never purified in such a 
way that one can be 100 % sure that there are no proteins left.

According to Dr. Babara Weber (Okoe-Institut-Freiburg) who refers to
Padgette et al. J.Nutr. 126, 702 (1996) even in purified soy oil still
0.5 micro g/g proteins are contained. So even purified soy oil can
contain transgene proteins. 

In Germany there is a company HYDROTOX who specialised on the analysis
of
foods and they have absolutely no problems to find transgenes even in
cakes or cookies
derived from soy flour. 

Also in lecithin, which e.g. is used in icecream or cacao drinks, they
can find the
transgenes in 50% of all cases. Why the method works not in 100% of all
cases 
is not yet clear but this however shows that "transgene" lecithin and
usual lecithin 
is not equivalent!

So all scientific facts confirm that foods derived from transgene plants
and natural 
plants differ ...

Also you should not forget that most of the crops are engineered to
allow for
heavier use of herbicides.
So in this engineered foods you will find more Glyphosate (Roundup) or
Glyphosinate (BASTA) products which again poses serious health risks not
present in natural foods.

According to Greenpeace and others Monsanto did all its safety tests of
the 
"Roundup Ready Soybean" with soybeans that were not treated with the
herbicide
"Roundup".

I hope those remarks are of some help.


Eckart Stein



> Hi,
> 
> > Processed foods, such as oil,
> > lecithin, and syrup, are often claimed to be free of transgenic proteins and
> > other compounds and thus no different from their non-genetically engineered
> > counterparts. This is fallacious reasoning because these prepared foods are
> > never chemically pure, and will therefore contain a certain amount of these
> > genetically engineered proteins. Thus, even heavily processed foods cannot be
> 
> > argued to be substantially equivalent, since they will be contaminated with
> > genetically engineered proteins or their products.
> >
> 
> Could you expand on this please? For those of us without indepth
> technical knowledge of the subject of genetic engineering, could
> you explain why "prepared foods are never chemically pure"?
> On the one hand "Processed foods ... are often claimed to be free of
> transgenic proteins", but then you claim this is incorrect.
> I don't disbelieve you, I just want to know the justification behind
> this statement.
> 
> Also, is there any more info on which oils and syrups are made from
> genetically engineered ingredients? (Apologies if I've missed a
> previous posting on this, but I am a recent subscriber).
> 
> Thankyou!
> 
> Jon Buckingham
>



References: