APPROVAL & FEED: Turkish animal feed producers get permission to import GE soy feed

TITLE:   TURKISH ANIMAL FEED PRODUCERS GET PERMISSION FOR GM CONTENT

SOURCE:  Hürriyet, Turkey

AUTHOR:  Anatolia News Agency, Turkey

DATE:    30.01.2011

SUMMARY: "The Turkish Animal Feed Producers? Union, or TÜRKİYEM-BİR, has announced that it acquired the Biosafety Commission?s permission to use three types of genetically modified, or GM, soybeans in animal feed. [...] The crisis action plan will determine measures to be taken in the transportation of the GM crops in sea vessels, their storage, in their transportation to factories and in their packaging."

TURKISH ANIMAL FEED PRODUCERS GET PERMISSION FOR GM CONTENT

The Turkish Animal Feed Producers? Union, or TÜRKİYEM-BİR, has announced that it acquired the Biosafety Commission?s permission to use three types of genetically modified, or GM, soybeans in animal feed. Union Chairman Ülkü Karakuş said the body asked to use the three types of GM organisms allowed in the U.S. and EU.

The permission was announced in the Official Gazette on Wednesday.

Karakuş said that the committee also determined the terms of the imports, adding they were preparing to present a crisis action plan to the Agriculture Ministry within a week, after which the ministry is expected to allow the import of the GM crops.

The crisis action plan will determine measures to be taken in the transportation of the GM crops in sea vessels, their storage, in their transportation to factories and in their packaging.

Karakuş noted that Turkey imports around 4.5 million tons of animal feed raw materials, 2.1 million tons of which was soybeans and soy products.

Recalling the recent issuing of the Biosafety Law, Karakuş said producers suffered from a soybean shortage in the domestic market after the import of GM soy products was banned. ?Those with soybean stock radically increased the prices and the raw material?s price climbed from $500 to $700,? he said.

TITLE:   GMO ANALYSIS LAB OPENS IN WESTERN TURKEY

SOURCE:  Hürriyet, Turkey

AUTHOR:

DATE:    23.01.2011

SUMMARY: "The first laboratory for analyzing genetically modified organisms, or GMO, in Turkey was recently opened at Ege University?s Agriculture Faculty in the Aegean province of İzmir. The Agrolab was opened as a result of joint efforts by Ege University Agriculture Faculty, the İzmir Development Agency, or İZKA, and the Aegean Exporters? Union, or EIB."

GMO ANALYSIS LAB OPENS IN WESTERN TURKEY

The first laboratory for analyzing genetically modified organisms, or GMO, in Turkey was recently opened at Ege University?s Agriculture Faculty in the Aegean province of İzmir.

The Agrolab was opened as a result of joint efforts by Ege University Agriculture Faculty, the İzmir Development Agency, or İZKA, and the Aegean Exporters? Union, or EIB.

According to a press release from the union, the Agrolab will also conduct antioxidants, elements, heavy metals, sugar, vitamin, soil and water analyses.

Ege University organized an opening ceremony for the lab; speaking at the ceremony, Agriculture Professor Akın Olgun said that in the 2000s, Turkish agricultural cultivation had increased drastically, but at the expense of sacrificing the quality of the crops. ?With Agrolab we want to bring to life a lab that analyzes the quality,? he said.

Underlining that the lab would contribute greatly to the faculty in scientific studies, Olgun said: ?We worked with the EIB in order to find efficient means to conduct GMO, soil, plant and water analyses and took our offer to İZKA, which provided 300,000 Turkish Liras to our 400,000-lira investment. We have refurbished our central lab and bought new devices. Our students will be able to take their classes in an ameliorated lab environment from now on.?

Olgun noted that due to the support provide by the EİB, members of the union would be granted a 20 percent discount until the end of 2011 for the agricultural analyses they need. ?We want to complete our equipment and become an accredited laboratory serving İzmir agriculture.?