GMO-FREE REGIONS & REGULATION: Bulgaria imposes ban on MON 810 genetically modified maize

TITLE:   BULGARIA IMPOSES BAN ON MON 810 GENETICALLY MODIFIED MAIZE

SOURCE:  Focus Information Agency, Bulgaria

AUTHOR:

DATE:    02.02.2011

SUMMARY: "Bulgaria?s Council of Ministers imposed a ban on the cultivation of genetically modified maize MON 810 on the territory of the country, the government?s press office reports. [...] The ban is also imposed in six other EU member states."

BULGARIA IMPOSES BAN ON MON 810 GENETICALLY MODIFIED MAIZE

Sofia. Bulgaria?s Council of Ministers imposed a ban on the cultivation of genetically modified maize MON 810 on the territory of the country, the government?s press office reports. The ban comes under the principle of cautiousness provided under Directive 2001/18/EC and the Genetically Modified Organisms Act. The ban is also imposed in six other EU member states.

TITLE:   BULGARIA BANS MON810 AND WILL NOT SUPPORT GM CONTAMINATION OF FEED

SOURCE:  AgroLink, Bulgaria

AUTHOR:  Press Release

DATE:    02.02.2011

SUMMARY: "Bulgaria has banned the growing of the genetically modified MON 810 maize in the country, thus joining 6 other EU nations. Bulgarian Council of Ministries announced the ban on 2nd February. The decision was taken after strong public resistance against GMO which started in 2004 and culminated in 2010. 97% of the Bulgarians are of the opinion that Bulgaria should continue resist GMO released into environment and GMO contamination of food and feed. "

BULGARIA BANS MON810 AND WILL NOT SUPPORT GM CONTAMINATION OF FEED

Bulgaria has banned the growing of the genetically modified MON 810 maize in the country, thus joining 6 other EU nations. Bulgarian Council of Ministries announced the ban on 2nd February. The decision was taken after strong public resistance against GMO which started in 2004 and culminated in 2010. 97% of the Bulgarians are of the opinion that Bulgaria should continue resist GMO released into environment and GMO contamination of food and feed.

Bulgarian environmental organizations congratulate Minister of Agriculture Miroslav Naydenov to reject proposals to water down European safety rules to allow contaminated animal feeds onto the market. A proposal to allow feeds contaminated with untested genetically modified organisms (GMOs) will be discussed and possibly voted on in Brussels on 8th February.

Minister Naydenov said: ?We had a strong demarche by USA, Canada, Argentine and Brazil to support their call to introduce into EU GMO regulation a contamination threshold for non-authorised feed imports. We declare to our media and Bulgarian society that we will vote against this proposal during the vote at the Standing Committee session on 8th and 9th February on the lifting of the EU's zero tolerance concerning GMOs that are not authorised in the EU found in feed imports?.

?We congratulate the government decision and hope that next step will be taken ? to ban ?Amflora? said Svetla Nikolova, AGROLINK Association and representative of the For the Nature Coalition.

AGROLINK?s mission is to promote sustainable agriculture, to coordinate national organic farmers? network, to support protection of the environment and the implementation of sustainable development principles