[genet-news] BUSINESS & SCIENCE: New report refutes industry argument that genetically modified salmon will feed hungry world populations

TITLE:   NEW REPORT REFUTES INDUSTRY ARGUMENT THAT GENETICALLY MODIFIED SALMON WILL FEED HUNGRY WORLD POPULATIONS

SOURCE:  Food & Water Watch Europe, Belgium

AUTHOR:  Press Release

DATE:    05.11.2010

SUMMARY: "Food & Water Europe released a report today outlining why the genetically engineered salmon currently being considered by the US Food and Drug Administration for approval as a human food will not alleviate global hunger. [...] ?The company producing this experimental fish, AquaBounty, is the only one who will be profiting from it, despite misleading claims that this product could be a means to feed growing populations around the world,? said Wenonah Hauter, Executive Director of Food & Water Europe."

NEW REPORT REFUTES INDUSTRY ARGUMENT THAT GENETICALLY MODIFIED SALMON WILL FEED HUNGRY WORLD POPULATIONS

Brussels ? Food & Water Europe released a report today outlining why the genetically engineered (GE) salmon currently being considered by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for approval as a human food will not alleviate global hunger.

GE Salmon Will Not Feed the World outlines several reasons why this transgenic fish is likely to be more expensive to produce than perceived, as well as problematic for the environment, fishing communities and consumers. The report was released a day after Scottish MP Rob Gibson motioned to petition the Scottish Government to monitor the FDA?s approval process, noting that escapees are likely to occur through time and could easily reach the shores of Scotland, ?altering forever the genetic integrity of wild Atlantic salmon and of quality Scottish farmed salmon.?

?The company producing this experimental fish, AquaBounty, is the only one who will be profiting from it, despite misleading claims that this product could be a means to feed growing populations around the world,? said Wenonah Hauter, Executive Director of Food & Water Europe.

Since GE salmon can require large amounts of food, display deformities and likely have higher oxygen demands, they can be costly to produce. These projected costs, combined with the various potential human health and ecological concerns associated with GE fish, will not likely add up to a more financially advantageous product for growers or consumers.

Furthermore, farmed salmon in general may not be as nutritious or safe as wild salmon. They contain on average 35 percent fewer omega-3 fatty acids ? which are important for human health, but not produced by the body. Also, farmed salmon often contain higher levels of contaminants in their fat (which they can have more of than wild salmon), including 10 times the amount of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). GE salmon are also known to have higher levels of insulin-like growth factor 1, which has been associated with increased risk of certain types of cancer.

These worrying food safety issues are compounded by the environmental damage GE salmon would add to the already unsustainable salmon farming industry. The small, wild fish used in salmon feed are a major food source for marine mammals, birds and larger fish as well as low-income, food insecure populations around the world. In 2006, the aquaculture sector alone consumed nearly 90 percent of small prey fish captured worldwide. GE salmon may require about five times the amount of feed as a non-altered salmon to grow faster. This will further exacerbate the decline of available wild fish for marine wildlife and people in countries that need it most. If fish are not used in feed, it is entirely likely that the fish would be fed on industrial soya?which is associated with serious environmental and human rights impacts as well. Escapes of GE salmon into the wild could also threaten wild salmon, by competing for food, habitat and mates.

?GE salmon is an inefficient way to produce food that comes with more costs than benefits,? says Hauter. ?We should be concerned about protecting consumers and our wild fish populations rather than pushing forward to approve this potentially dangerous product.?

Read the report ? http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/world/europe/factsheets/ge-salmon-will-not-feed-the-world-europe/

Food & Water Europe is a program of Food & Water Watch, Inc., a non-profit consumer NGO based in Washington, D.C., working to ensure clean water and safe food in Europe and around the world. We challenge the corporate control and abuse of our food and water resources by empowering people to take action and transforming the public consciousness about what we eat and drink.

Food & Water Watch works to ensure the food, water and fish we consume is safe, accessible and sustainable. So we can all enjoy and trust in what we eat and drink, we help people take charge of where their food comes from, keep clean, affordable, public tap water flowing freely to our homes, protect the environmental quality of oceans, force government to do its job protecting citizens, and educate about the importance of keeping shared resources under public control.

TITLE:   MAJORITY OF AVONWORTH AGAINST FDA APPROVAL FOR GENETICALLY MODIFIED SALMON

SOURCE:  High School Journalism, USA

AUTHOR:  Avonews - Avonworth High School, USA, by Victoria Davis, Jessica Keast, & Elizabeth Shenk

DATE:    03.11.2010

SUMMARY: "?Stop messing with nature, you?re not God.? said freshmen Bryce Volk about requests for FDA approval to sell genetically altered salmon. Volk?s viewpoint reflects the overall opinion of students at AHS about the request for FDA approval of altered salmon for sale on the public market."

MAJORITY OF AVONWORTH AGAINST FDA APPROVAL FOR GENETICALLY MODIFIED SALMON

?Stop messing with nature, you?re not God.? said freshmen Bryce Volk about requests for FDA approval to sell genetically altered salmon. Volk?s viewpoint reflects the overall opinion of students at AHS about the request for FDA approval of altered salmon for sale on the public market. However, companies such as Cargill, Monsanto, and AquaBounty may make thousands of dollars from the salmon. ?We have done a tremendous amount of work geared toward regulatory approval to show that the fish are healthy and safe,? says a representative of AquaBounty in regard to the salmon.

Across grade levels and faculty, most students here didn?t think the altered salmon should be sold at all. In fact, the majority of the forty-one total students and faculty surveyed opposed the idea of the genetic alterations of their food. Mrs. Naeser stated that the salmon should be ?left alone? and contributed an interesting take on the situation. ?It is making children go through puberty earlier? she said. ?When I was a kid, it was a lot different.? In her opinion, these alterations could possibly be leading to a faster maturity rate in teens. However, even if the majority of people oppose the idea, the FDA could still regulate this fish to be publically sold. A journalist for encorepub.com, Evan Folds, wrote ?Monsanto and Cargill, which have spent billions lobbying the U.S. government to create legislation that allows them to slither through loopholes that make them trillions. It?s a classic case of industry benefiting at the expense of people.? in regard to the GMO (gen
 etically mutated organism) salmon.

So how do you know if you?re eating a genetically altered salmon? Many students believe that if the FDA does allow the GMO fish to be sold, it should be clearly marked. Ninth grader Shane Pentland decided that, ?People should definitely get to choose which salmon they want to buy.? Most involved seem to agree with Pentland and Volk, as the FDA, after a hearing on September 21, decided that the issue needed more thought before any decisions were made after receiving a copy of a petition with 10,000 signatures of those against the public sale of GMO salmon.

GENET-news is a public news service from GENET.
Visit GENET website to learn more about GENET: www.genet-info.org