[genet-news] BUSINESS & SEEDS: Monsanto, Hunan University (China) enter into research collaboration to source novel genes for crop improvement

TITLE:  MONSANTO, HUNAN UNIVERSITY ENTER INTO RESEARCH COLLABORATION TO SOURCE NOVEL GENES FOR CROP IMPROVEMENT

SOURCE: Monsanto, USA

AUTHOR: Press Release

DATE:   03.04.2009

MONSANTO, HUNAN UNIVERSITY ENTER INTO RESEARCH COLLABORATION TO SOURCE NOVEL GENES FOR CROP IMPROVEMENT

ST. LOUIS and CHANGSHA, CHINA, April 3, 2009 ? Monsanto Company and Hunan University today announced that they have entered into a four-year research and licensing agreement focused on identifying novel plant genes with attributes such as higher yield, drought resistance and enhanced nitrogen utilization.

With the increasing global demand for food, fuel and fiber, the need to use the best technologies to grow more crops on each acre of farmland is a high priority for both the public and private sectors. The research program at Hunan University will employ novel tools and methods to systematically study the function of genes that could have broad applications in major field crops.

Monsanto is committed to collaborating with scientific communities in China and around the world to find ways in which agriculture can meet the demands of a growing world population, said Steve Padgette, vice president of biotechnology for Monsanto.

?We have been impressed with the resources and intellectual capabilities at Hunan University, particularly with the support from the university administration and the scientific expertise they bring to this collaboration,? Padgette said. ?With the best resources from both parties combined, we expect the project to produce not only first rate science, but also potential discoveries for future products that could benefit farmers and consumers worldwide.?

The collaboration will further support the company?s commitment to double yields in our core crops by 2030, reduce by one-third key inputs such as water and nitrogen, and help improve farmers? lives, Padgette said.

?We are excited to form this relationship with Monsanto, the leading agriculture company in the world,? said Zhihua Zhong, president of Hunan University. ?This provides an excellent opportunity for our scientists to interact with their peers at Monsanto, and develop internal capabilities for future scientific discoveries and product development. We look forward to a fruitful collaboration.?

About Monsanto Company

Monsanto Company is a leading global provider of technology-based solutions and agricultural products that improve farm productivity and food quality. Monsanto remains focused on enabling both small-holder and large-scale farmers to produce more from their land while conserving more of our world?s natural resources such as water and energy. To learn more about our business and our commitments, please visit: www.monsanto.com.

About Hunan University, China

Hunan University is located in Changsha, capital city of Hunan Province. It is a key university affiliated with China?s Ministry of Education and included in China?s ?211 Project? and ?985 Project?. The university, dating back to Yuelu Academy founded in 976 A. D., the most famous academy of the Song Dynasty (960 ? 1279), is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in the world. To learn more about Hunan University, please visit: www.hunu.edu.cn.

news & information

phone....... +49-531-5168746

fax......... +49-531-5168747

email....... news(*)genet-info.org

skype....... hartmut_meyer

url......... http://www.genet-info.org/

GENET-news is a public news service from GENET.
Visit GENET website to learn more about GENET: www.genet-info.org