BUSINESS: Brazil and China sigh Bt-cotton agreement

TITLE:  Brazil and China should boost partnership in agriculture,
        Brazilian institute says
SOURCE: MacauHub, China
AUTHOR:
DATE:   27.04.2007

Brazil and China should boost partnership in agriculture, Brazilian
institute says

Sao Paulo, Brazil, 27 April - Brazil and China have signed three
research and technology agreements for agriculture since 2003 and should
increase that cooperation, the supervisor for cooperation at Brazilian
farming institute, Embrapa, Bonifácio Magalhães told Macauhub.

"We increased relations with Chins in 2003 when we signed the memorandum
with the Chinese Academy for Agricultural Sciences and that cooperation
is moving along," said Magalhães, who was in Beijing last week, with a
mission from the Brazilian Foreign Relations Ministry.

That mission is preparing a Chinese-Brazilian meeting for technological
and scientific cooperation, scheduled to be held in Brazil in December.

One of the agreements recently signed by Embrapa, a body linked to the
Ministry of Agriculture, is the partnership with the Chinese Academy of
Science (CAS) for exchange of genetic material, biotechnology training,
mainly in growing cotton, fruit, vegetables, wheat and soy.

Another agreement was made official with the Chinese National Rice
Research Institute (CNRRI), which last year became Embrapa's partner.
Also in 2006, the Brazilian institution signed a memorandum with Longyan
University for cooperation in the area of edible and medicinal mushrooms.

Magalhães told Macauhub that the next steps in the partnership with
China would be an agreement in the area of genetically-modified cotton,
which would be signed with Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences.

"China still has a lot to offer us, such as genetic material, and we
have a lot to offer, such as in the area of precision agricultures,"
said Magalhães.

"We are going to make adjustments and keep up with what has already been
arranged. As we fulfil agreements that we have already made, new
opportunities will emerge and we will move ahead. Embrapa's aim is to
increasingly strengthen cooperation with China," he said.

-------------------- archived at  http://www.gene.ch/ --------------------

--
GENET-news

the news & information service of the

contact:
Hartmut MEYER (Mr)

phone....... +49-531-5168746
fax......... +49-531-5168747
email....... hartmut.meyer(*)genet-info.org
skype....... hartmut_meyer
url......... www.genet-info.org