APPROVAL / BUSINESS: NCGA advises growers new biotech trait lacksJapanese approval

TITLE:  NCGA advises growers new biotech trait lacks Japanese approval
SOURCE: National Corn Growers Association, USA
AUTHOR: Press Release
DATE:   27.03.2007

NCGA advises growers new biotech trait lacks Japanese approval

The 2007 corn planting season is under way, and the National Corn
Growers Association (NCGA) advises growers Syngenta's Agrisure(TM) Rootworm
trait (MIR 604) has not received full approval in Japan. NCGA's
biotechnology policy only supports events that have received full
regulatory approval in the United States and Japan.

"We have requested Syngenta not release hybrids containing this trait
this planting season," said NCGA President Ken McCauley. "Growers
planting the Agrisure(TM) Rootworm trait should be aware that if Japanese
regulatory approvals are not granted by harvest, there will be serious
restrictions on the marketability of the grain."

NCGA's request that Syngenta withhold the release of the Agrisure(TM)
Rootworm trait was solely based on the current lack of full Japanese
approvals. Japan is the leading U.S. corn export market and accounts for
nearly 5 percent of total U.S. production.

"Our request is consistent with our policy, which addresses customer
concerns and protects our traditional markets," said NCGA President Ken
McCauley. "NCGA supports commercial release of biotech corn events or
combination of events that have received full approval by U.S. and
Japanese regulatory agencies."

NCGA's biotech position I-A-1 #4 reads:_"Support the commercial release
of biotech corn events or combination of events subsequent to
consultation with and approval by the NCGA Biotech Working Group. These
events must also receive full approval by the relevant U.S. and Japanese
regulatory agencies, and the product registrant must be aggressively
pursuing approval in every country or bloc that requires approval prior
to importation of corn, corn products or food containing corn ingredients."

NCGA strongly encourages farmers planting the trait to develop
alternative marketing plans for this grain. It will not be marketed
under the Market Choices(TM) label. If Japanese regulatory approvals are
not received prior to harvest, this grain must be kept out of export
channels and away from processors that might export corn products such
as corn gluten feed and distillers dried grains.

Although the primary concern is Japan, Agrisure Rootworm currently lacks
regulatory approval in most major export markets, McCauley said.

Agrisure Rootworm and stacks will be carried by NK Brand, Garst and
Golden Harvest hybrids.

Click here for NCGA's complete position on biotech hybrids.
http://www.ncga.com/biotechnology/pdfs/PolicyPositionPapers/
POLICYPOSITIONPAPERS.PDF

-------------------- archived at  http://www.gene.ch/ --------------------

--
GENET-news

the news & information service of the

contact:
Hartmut MEYER (Mr)

phone....... +49-531-5168746
fax......... +49-531-5168747
email....... hartmut.meyer(*)genet-info.org
skype....... hartmut_meyer
url......... www.genet-info.org