REGULATION / FOOD: Indian Government extends suspension of rule onGM soyoil imports

TITLE:  Govt extends suspension of rule on GM soyoil imports
SOURCE: Reuters, India
AUTHOR:
DATE:   13.03.2007

Govt extends suspension of rule on GM soyoil imports

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The government has suspended until the end of
December a rule that required imports of genetically modified soyoil to
be cleared by an official panel, the government said in a statement on
Tuesday. The moratorium was originally imposed in May and was due to end
this month. Trade critics said last year that getting the panel's
approval would delay shipments and push up prices. India imports about
two million tonnes of soyoil, mostly from Brazil and Argentina, where
transgenic Roundup Ready soybeans are widely grown. The rule change
first came into force in April last year, but was suspended a month
later. "Everybody was sure the government will extend the suspension,"
an Ahmedabad-based edible oils trader said.

-------------------- archived at  http://www.gene.ch/ --------------------

TITLE:  India extends suspension of rule on GM soybean oil imports
SOURCE: International Service for the Aquisition of Agri-Biotech Applications
AUTHOR: CropBiotech Update
DATE:   16.03.2007

India extends suspension of rule on GM soybean oil imports

The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) of the Government of
India has suspended a rule that requires imports of genetically modified
soybean oil to be cleared by the biotech regulatory authority (GEAC)
until 31 Dec 2007. The notification in this regard was issued on 13
March 2007 to nullify the Condition No. 18 of Chapter 1A (General Notes
Regarding Import Policy) under the Foreign Trade Policy (2004-09) issued
on 7 April 2006.

The first moratorium on new regulation for import of GM products by
amending Schedule - I (Imports) of the ITC(HS) Classifications of Export
and Import Items, 2004-09 under the Foreign Trade Policy (2004-09) was
imposed from 20th April 2006 which was due to expire of end of this
month. The country imports about two million tons of soybean oil mostly
from Brazil and Argentina, where genetically modified soybeans are
widely grown and consumed.

The Ministry of Commerce and Industry notifications:
Amendment in Schedule-I (Imports) of the ITC(HS) Classifications of
Export and Import items, 2004-2009 dated 13 March 2007:
http://dgftcom.nic.in/exim/2000/not/not06/not5406.htm

Amendment in Schedule-I (Imports) of the ITC(HS) Classifications of
Export and Import items, 2004-2009 dated 20 April 2006:
http://dgftcom.nic.in/exim/2000/not/not06/not2106.htm

Amendment in Schedule-I (Imports) of the ITC(HS) Classifications of
Export and Import items, 2004-2009 dated 7 April 2006:
http://164.100.9.245/exim/2000/not/not06/not0206.htm

For more information: b.choudhary@isaaa.org

-------------------- archived at  http://www.gene.ch/ --------------------

--
GENET-news

the news & information service of the

contact:
Hartmut MEYER (Mr)

phone....... +49-531-5168746
fax......... +49-531-5168747
email....... hartmut.meyer(*)genet-info.org
skype....... hartmut_meyer
url......... www.genet-info.org