GMO-FREE REGIONS & POLICY: Northern Territory (Australia) likely to veto any GM cotton plans

TITLE:  NT GOVT LIKELY TO VETO ANY GM COTTON PLANS

SOURCE: Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Australia

AUTHOR:

DATE:   24.07.2007

NT GOVT LIKELY TO VETO ANY GM COTTON PLANS

The Northern Territory Government is likely to thwart any recommendation that a special task force makes to grow genetically modified (GM) cotton in the Territory. The North Australia Land and Water Task Force met in Darwin to discuss expanding agriculture in Australia’s rain-rich north. One of the things it considered was genetically modified crops. The Territory Government banned cotton crops in 2002 and Chief Minister Clare Martin is making it clear genetically modified cotton will not be accepted now. ”We’re very clear, and the Territory community is very clear, we do not support genetically modified cotton,” she said. The task force is is due to present its final report in 2009.

news & information

phone....... +49-531-5168746

fax......... +49-531-5168747

email....... news(*)genet-info.org