GMO-FREE REGIONS: New South Wales Farmers Association (Australia) votes to end the GM crop moratorium

TITLE:  GM POSITION CLEAR

SOURCE: New South Wales Farmers Association, Australia

AUTHOR: Press Release 194/07

DATE:   17.07.2007

GM POSITION CLEAR

The NSW Farmers’ Association says farmers’ ability to choose whether they should access Genetically Modified technology convinced delegates to reinforce its policy in support of the removal of the current moratorium at Annual Conference today. President of the NSW Farmers’ Association Jock Laurie says the Government’s appointment of an independent panel to review the states Genetically Modified (GM) moratorium is a step in the right direction. ”The panel seems to offer a good mix of skills and experience with which to tackle the review, but we would reiterate that the review of the legislation should be confined to the marketing and trade aspects of the issue,” Mr Laurie said. ”The NSW, Victorian and South Australian GM moratoriums are all set to expire in March 2008 and we will be arguing that these Governments come to a collective decision given the interstate trade and movement of grain. The Association has provided independent and peer reviewed reports to members, and is supporting a proposal for Federal Government funding for grower workshops on the issue. The NSW Gene Technology Moratorium Act 2003 (GM moratorium) prohibits the deliberate cultivation of Genetically Modified (GM) crops consumed by humans until March 2008. ”Delegates at Annual Conference have reiterated their support for the removal of the moratorium, and we will heavily involved in the review process,” Mr Laurie concluded.

TITLE:  2007 ANNUAL CONFERENCE POLICY SESSION AGENDA - GRAINS - GENETIC MODIFICATION

SOURCE: New South Wales Farmers Association, Australia

AUTHOR: 2007 Annual Conference Agenda

DATE:   17.07.2007

2007 ANNUAL CONFERENCE POLICY SESSION AGENDA - GRAINS - GENETIC MODIFICATION

Committee Panel Session; Chair, Grains Committee, Mr John Ridley, to report

Genetic Modification

G4 That the Association:

a) give priority to achieving removal of the GM crop moratorium via a high profile public stance and proactive participation in the review process in a coordinated campaign with the farmer organisations of other states;

b) lobby for futher work on GM takeall resistance to be continued in Australia; and

c) lobby for further funding for research and development into conferring drought resistance in crops using GM techniques.

GRENFELL 20 CANOWINDRA 27 28 29 ARDLETHAN 119 YOUNG 272 273 274

G5 That the Association

a) seek to have the moratorium on growing Canola continued until 2010; and

b) continue to explore the 2003 motions ”grower issues to be addressed during the period of the NSW Government moratorium on GM food crops” with particular reference to the following:

i) market implications in loss of markets, price discounts, and loss of current premiums being paid for GM-free food crops and market resistance;

ii) legal ramifications on liability in the event of inevitable contamination on GM growers and marketers plus associated industries ie grain harvesters, seed graders and transport operators etc; and

iii) independent data to be made available on all relevant issues including yield, herbicide regimes, and independent health studies on the human consumption of GM food.

INVERELL 226 MOLONG 94

TITLE:  GM CROP MORATORIUM IN NSW TO BE REVIEWED

SOURCE: Sydney Morning Herald, Australia

AUTHOR: Australian Associated Press, Australia

DATE:   16.07.2007

GM CROP MORATORIUM IN NSW TO BE REVIEWED

An independent panel will review the NSW moratorium on the commercial planting of genetically modified (GM) food crops. Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said the panel would review issues of trade and market access resulting from the potential production of commercially grown GM food. ”The state government is keen to canvass all the possible options and stakeholder opinions before making a decision on the future of GM crops after March next year,” Mr Macdonald said. ”The review is about exploring the impacts on marketing and trade of either extending or modifying legislation, or allowing it to expire.” The current moratorium expires in March 2008. Currently, GM canola can be grown in NSW but only for research purposes. However, no GM canola is being grown in NSW this season. The panel will be chaired by ex-Nationals MP and former deputy premier Ian Armstrong.

TITLE:  CONSERVATION COUNCIL: TREAD CAUTIOUSLY ON GM CROPS

SOURCE: Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Australia

AUTHOR:

DATE:   17.07.2007

CONSERVATION COUNCIL: TREAD CAUTIOUSLY ON GM CROPS

The WA Conservation Council has urged the State Government to tread cautiously on the issue of genetically modified crops after claims from farmers and the opposition that the government is restricting development. The Farmers Federation has backed opposition calls for the government to bring forward the review of its moratorium on GM crops, which is not due until the end of next year. But Sue Graham Taylor from the Conservation Council says more trials are needed to prove the benefits of GM crops, and that they are worthwhile. ”More scientific research, more trials, and we would urge more open and transparent trials so that the community can really understand what’s going on,” she said. ”We should move forward with caution, the community urges caution, we would like to have a much more precautionary approach and we support the government’s plan to review the moratorium at the end of next year.” The Acting Minister for Agriculture, John Ford, says the government is taking a cautious and sensible approach to G-M crops.

TITLE:  WA UNDER PRESSURE TO FAST-TRACK REVIEW ON GM CROPS

SOURCE: Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Australia

AUTHOR:

DATE:   17.07.2007

WA UNDER PRESSURE TO FAST-TRACK REVIEW ON GM CROPS

The WA Farmers Federation has accused the State Government of holding back development by refusing to fast-track a review of its moratorium on genetically modified crops.

The Federation has backed calls from the Opposition for the Government to bring forward the review which is not due until the end of next year.

The Federation’s director of policy, Andy McMillan, says commercial size trials should be conducted as soon as possible in Western Australia so local growers can see what GM has to offer.

”We see it as a key issue for the future of agriculture in Western Australia,” he said.

” I guess to a degree there has been a bit of a push because of the past two seasons with the challenge in climatic conditions that we face over here, and growers are looking for an alternative and they feel as though they’re being hard done by by not being given the opportunity to explore new technologies.”

”It’s certainly causing problems in the science area, scientists are very frustrated that they’re not able to test the theory in the field over this way, and we’re very worried that Australia could well lose the knowledge and lose the intellectual talent that we do have in this regard.”

The Opposition spokesman for Agriculture, Gary Snook, has backed the Farmers Federation saying the government is responsible for restricting development in the farming industry.

”The decision is in the hands of the Minister and Cabinet, the State Cabinet and the current Labor Government, it’s their policy for whatever reason that they’ve chosen to refuse to budge on this when it’s clearly demonstrated the benefits of the new science.”

news & information

phone....... +49-531-5168746

fax......... +49-531-5168747

email....... news(*)genet-info.org