9-Misc: Orange City Council (Australia) declares itself a "GM Free Zone"

TITLE:  Orange council takes stand against GM crops
SOURCE: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
        http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/nsw/orange/200507/s1421321.htm
DATE:   25 Jul 2005

------------------- archive: http://www.genet-info.org/ -------------------

Orange council takes stand against GM crops

Orange City Council has declared itself a 'genetically modified (GM) crop
free' area. Councillor Jeremy Buckingham moved the motion at the last
council meeting because he says many people are concerned about the long-
term effects of genetically modified organisms on the environment.
Councillor Buckingham says Orange has followed the example of many
councils across New South Wales, including Cabonne and Forbes. "There's
not much, if any, cropping going on in the Orange local government area,
but we border Cabonne and there's a lot of potential for GMOs
[genetically modified organisms] to be grown there because it's a canola
growing area," Cr Buckingham said. "So it's just a symbolic gesture that
says the people of Orange are still concerned and we want to see more
rigorous testing and we want to find out what exactly it does mean to the
community if GMOs are in food chain."

*****

MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE ORANGE CITY COUNCIL HELD AT THE
CIVIC CENTRE ON 21 JULY 2005 COMMENCING AT 7.02 PM
http://www.orange.nsw.gov.au/download.cfm?DownloadFile=51B7CF4A-E081-
51EF-A7B615BDF04E8072

[...]
8 GENE TECHNOLOGY IN AGRICULTURE 133/555/460/1/1/1
Letter from Craig Cormick, Biotechnology Australia dated 28 June 2005
Copy attached
RESOLVED - 05/324 Cr Miller/Cr Ryan
That the letter from Craig Cormick, Biotechnology Australia dated 28 June
2005 on Gene Technology in Agriculture be noted.
MATTER ARISING FROM CONSIDERATION OF THE ABOVE ITEM
RESOLVED - 05/325 Cr Buckingham/Cr Rossiter
That Council declare the Orange Local Government Area a "GM Free Zone",
until the current State Government moratorium ends.
[...]

In den Steinäckern 13