2-Plants: 'GM will never be grown in Britain'

TITLE:  'GM will never be grown in Britain'
SOURCE: The Independent on Sunday, UK, by Geoffrey Lean
        http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/environment/story.jsp?story=508201
DATE:   Apr 4, 2004

------------------- archive: http://www.genet-info.org -------------------

'GM will never be grown in Britain'

Ministers are prepared for GM crops never to be grown commercially in
Britain after the strain approved for cultivation was withdrawn last week
by the company that developed it.

They are determined not to compromise on strict conditions for growing the
crops, which were behind the decision by Bayer CropScience not to proceed
with the GM maize given a tentative go-ahead by the Government last month.
Unless the controls are relaxed, Bayer says it will abandon the technology
in Britain.

Environmentalists and politicians hailed Bayer's decision as the death of
GM in Britain. They said that even if biotech companies did try to get new
modified crops approved it would be "extremely difficult" to get
government or public approval.

Bayer's decision marks victory for a five-year campaign by The Independent
on Sunday, and a defeat for Tony Blair.

TITLE:  'IoS' hastens end of GM crops in Britain
SOURCE: The Independent on Sunday, UK, by Geoffrey Lean
        http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/environment/story.jsp?story=508193
DATE:   Apr 4, 2004

------------------- archive: http://www.genet-info.org -------------------

'IoS' hastens end of GM crops in Britain
After five years of lobbying by the public and this newspaper, the
Government caves in

Wednesday should have been a triumphant day for Tony Blair. That evening
the latest revolt by Labour MPs - on tuition fees - fizzled out like all
those before it.

But, almost unnoticed, this was also the day on which the Prime Minister
suffered his greatest ever defeat. It was inflicted not by Parliament, but
by the public, with the assistance of a five-year campaign in The
Independent on Sunday.

For the decision by Bayer CropScience to "discontinue" its efforts to grow
a modified maize in this country marks the end of Mr Blair's personal
drive to make Britain the "European hub" for GM technology.

The Government admitted that no genetically modified crops would now be
grown in Britain for "the foreseeable future", and both campaigners and
ministers believe that might mean never. Peter Melchett, the policy
director of the Soil Association, said bluntly: "This is the end of GM in
Britain."

Many can rightly lay claim to major credit for this, the first outright
defeat for one of the Prime Minister's passionately promoted causes -
notably pressure groups, critical politicians and, above all, the public.

But the former Environment minister, Michael Meacher, who has himself
played one of the most crucial roles in the drama, said yesterday that the
IoS had been "the most effective anti-GM campaigner" of all.

Five years ago, when we began our campaign, it appeared to be a lost
cause. Sixty per cent of processed foods on supermarket shelves contained
GM soya. Widespread cultivation of GM crops throughout the countryside was
assumed to be only a year away. More than 50 different ones were awaiting
approval.

The giant biotech companies seemed unstoppable; Monsanto was poised to
make a merger that would have turned it into the world's largest
corporation. The Government put all its weight behind the technology, and
Mr Blair privately dismissed public concern as "a flash in the pan".

We started our campaign in February 1999 by calling for a pause in the
rush to a GM future. We demanded a three-year moratorium in cultivating GM
crops, while research was carried out. ("We urge a freeze rather than a
ban, because we are happy to listen to the arguments in favour of GM," we
wrote.) And we insisted that "all products containing GM food should be
clearly labelled".

Both ambitions were realised. In November 1999 the Government - led by
Michael Meacher - concluded year-long negotiations with the biotech
industry, establishing a three-year voluntary moratorium while official
trials were carried out. And it was soon officially accepted that GM foods
would have to be labelled.

During the pause the scientific evidence piled up, overwhelmingly
reinforcing the doubts we expressed at the beginning of the campaign. As
it came in, we converted our campaign into outright opposition.

Study after study showed that genes from GM crops spread to neighbouring
organic and conventional produce; only last month we reported that more
than two-thirds of non-GM crops in the United States were so contaminated.

Concern at the lack of testing of GM foods for their effects on health
continued to mount, and was reflected in our pages. It was here, in
February 2000, that Mr Blair - who had previously let it be known that he
was happy to eat GM foods - first admitted that they had "potential for
harm" to health.

An exclusive award-winning report in October that year revealed that trial
GM crops were being grown at secret sites around Britain, contrary to
government assurances, and helped to secure agreement that the location of
all modified crops growing anywhere in Europe would have to be made
public. And last autumn we revealed that an apparent clearance for GM
maize through the Government's official trials was invalid because a
pesticide central to this conclusion was about to be banned.

Throughout this period, the campaign against GM was being vigorously
fought by pressure groups - notably Friends of the Earth, the Soil
Association and the relatively small Genewatch - and public opposition to
the technology was rising.

Now 84 per cent of the public say they will not eat GM foods, and
ministers accept that there is no market for them. Supermarkets have
fallen over each other to take them off their shelves: none now stocks
them.

Last year Monsanto announced that it was closing down its cereal seed
business in Britain and Europe. The Government still pressed on,
tentatively approving Bayer's GM maize only last month, while imposing
strict conditions on its cultivation. But with Bayer's withdrawal, none of
the 50 crops originally queuing for approval will now be grown.

Last night Lord Melchett said that the IoS's campaign had made "all the
difference". The Conservative MP Peter Ainsworth, chairman of the House of
Commons Environment Audit Committee, which produced a critical report on
GM last month, praised our "persistently incisive coverage".

Kleine Wiese 6

E: coordination(at)genet-info.org