2-Plants: Canadian Wheat Board mulls court action against GE wheat

TITLE:  GROWING GM WHEAT IN CANADA 'NOT AN OPTION':
        GENETICALLY MODIFIED: WHEAT BOARD MULLS COURT
        ACTION TO STOP MONSANTO
SOURCE: Reuters/National Post, by Roberta Rampton
DATE:   June 19, 2003

--------------------- archive: www.gene.ch/genet.html --------------------

GROWING GM WHEAT IN CANADA 'NOT AN OPTION':
GENETICALLY MODIFIED: WHEAT BOARD MULLS COURT ACTION TO STOP MONSANTO

WINNIPEG - Adrian Measner, president and chief executive of the Canadian
Wheat Board, was cited as telling Reuters yesterday that the group may consider
legal action to stop Monsanto Co. from growing genetically modified wheat in
Canada outside limited government-run trials, adding, "We've given strong
assurances to our customers that we will make sure this situation is resolved in
Canada and we intend to take whatever action necessary to do that." The
story says it is the strongest statement the board has made to date on how far it
will go to prevent GM wheat from being grown in the near future in Canada --
and one Mr. Measner plans to repeat to world wheat traders at an
International Grains Council meeting in London next week. Mr. Measner was further quoted
as saying, "Having it grown in Canada, it's not an option. The costs are
just too horrendous and it needs to be addressed." The CWB asked Monsanto to
agree by tomorrow to withdraw its application. It has not yet formally
responded, he said. Monsanto has promised it will not commercialize the wheat until at
least some customers accept it and until it can be dealt with separately
within the bulk grain handling system.

======================
 Hartmut Meyer
 Kleine Wiese 6