8-Humans: Interview with deCODE CEO

TITLE:  The Icelandic Man Cometh
SOURCE: Bio-IT World, by John Dodge and Mark Uehling / Kari Steffansson
        http://www.bio-itworld.com/archive/011303/horizons_iceman.html
DATE:   Jan 13, 2003

The Icelandic Man Cometh

Interviewing Kari Stefansson - the profane, philosophical, and hot-
tempered founder, president, and CEO of Icelandic genomic company deCODE
Genetics - is not for the faint-hearted. His intense irritation over a
clattering laptop almost prematurely curtailed our recent conversation.
Once calm was restored, however, Stefansson discussed his company's
latest efforts in tracking down genes associated with dozens of common
diseases. With government cooperation, deCODE utilizes a genealogy
database of most of the country's 280,000 citizens to track disease
patterns and then analyze DNA samples from affected family members.
DeCODE says it has pinpointed genes associated with 20 major diseases,
including schizophrenia. But Stefansson is feeling the heat as deCODE's
stock price hovers around $2 from a high that tipped $30 a share since it
went public in July 2000. In September 2002, deCODE cut 200 jobs and
posted a third-quarter loss of more than $85 million.

Bio·IT World editors John Dodge and Mark Uehling interviewed Stefansson
in the company's office in Waltham, Mass.

Q: What proportion of the population in Iceland has contributed DNA at
this point?
A: About 80,000 people, or 33 percent of our adult population ... We have
a facility that generates about 15 million genotypes a month. The biggest
output in the States [is the Marshfield Clinic in Wisconsin] with about 8
million genotypes a year. [Soon] we will be generating about 30 million
to 40 million genotypes a month. We are currently genotyping more than
the rest of the world put together. And the reason we can do that is we
have put together software systems that allow us to do automatic allele
calling.

Q: Can you describe the software systems?
A: I have no interest in discussing software systems with you. If you
want to see it, just come to Iceland. Don't ask me silly questions like
this. I am not going to describe to you [expletive] software systems!

Q: If I was going to volunteer my DNA and I was an Icelandic citizen, how
would I do it?