7-Business: Brazil hands China GMO soy draft to clear trade

TITLE:  Brazil hands China GMO soy draft to clear trade
SOURCE: Reuters
DATE:   Jan 16, 2003

Brazil hands China GMO soy draft to clear trade

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Brazil this week delivered a revised draft
certificate to China about Brazilian soybeans and genetically modified
organisms (GMOs), which Brazilian officials say will clear the way for
exports.

The certificate, delivered by Agriculture Minister Roberto Rodrigues to
China's ambassador to Brazil, says that if Brazil soybean shipments
contained GMOs they would be resistant to Monsanto's Roundup Ready
herbicide and not pose a safety risk.

"The new draft contains some small revisions requested by the Chinese and
we think they will approve it very rapidly," Odilson Ribeiro, Director of
Crop Safety, told Reuters.

Although Brazil bans the commercial production of GMO soybeans, a large
part of the crop in the southern part of the country is sown with
genetically modified seeds smuggled across the border from Argentina where
GM crops are allowed.

China already imports GMO soybeans from the United States and Argentina.

But it has not authorized imports from Brazil this year.

Markets have been buzzing with speculation that China, the world's No. 1
soybean importer, would block shipments from Brazil, its main supplier.

Brazil shipped 4.1 million tonnes of soybeans to China in the first 11
months of 2002 and hopes to ship 5 million tonnes this year. China is
expected to import a record 14.5 million tonnes of soybeans in 2002/03.

Brazil expects to produce a record soybean crop of 47 million tonnes in
2003.

A 14-member team of Chinese officials is this week visiting Brazilian
soybean farms and research stations to study its production technology.

TITLE:  Chinese soy team visits Brazil amid GMO tiff
SOURCE: Reuters
DATE:   Jan 15, 2003

Chinese soy team visits Brazil amid GMO tiff

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Against the backdrop of a dispute over genetically
modified crops, a group of Chinese officials are visiting Brazilian soy
farms.

The 14-member team of Chinese officials will go to Brazilian soy farms,
cooperatives and research centers until Jan 22 to examine production
methods, Brazilian agriculture officials said Monday.

The visit comes amid world market concern about a stand-off between the two
countries over genetically modified organisms and certification of
Brazilian soybean exports to China.

Although the commercial production of GMO soybeans is banned in Brazil, an
increasing part of the crop, especially in the south, is genetically
modified.

"The object is for the Chinese to study and discuss how soybeans are
produced in Brazil," said an agriculture ministry spokeswoman, adding that
the visit was arranged a long time ago.

Brazil, the world's No. 2 soy exporter after the United States, ships 3.5
million tonnes of soybeans annually to China, the world's largest soybean
importer.

Officials said that the Chinese visit showed China's continued interest in
buying Brazilian soybeans, despite current concern over GMO material.

The Chinese group will visit Brazil's federal agriculture and livestock
research center Embrapa in Brasilia; soy farms in Mato Grosso and Parana,
respectively the No. 1 and No. 2 soy producing states; and the country's
largest grains cooperative Coamo in northern Parana.

"The Chinese came to study our production methods, but are likely to raise
the GMO issue," said an Embrapa spokesman.

The spokesman added that there were no plans for the Chinese to visit Rio
Grande do Sul, Brazil's No. 3 soy state, where an increasing amount of GM
soybeans are illegally grown.