6-Regulation: GE Industry and U.S. government increase pressure on European Commission

TITLE:  US looks poised to turn words into action on GM crops
SOURCE: The Financial Times, UK, by Edward Alden and Guy de Jonquieres
        http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/
        FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1042490755597
DATE:   Jan 14, 2003

US looks poised to turn words into action on GM crops

The US has talked for so long about a legal challenge to the European
Union's resistance to genetically modified crops that the threat has begun
to sound like a tape recording. Now Washington may be poised to put words
into action.

Last week, Robert Zoellick, the US trade representative, raised the stakes
by calling for the launch soon of a World Trade Organisation case against
the EU. Pascal Lamy, the EU trade commissioner, immediately promised a
vigorous defence.

If the US challenge goes ahead, it will be a huge gamble. It would be the
biggest and most highly charged in a long line of transatlantic trade
disputes that the WTO has been called on to adjudicate since the mid-1990s.

Although a final ruling could take up to two years, litigation would strain
US-EU ties and imperil efforts to inject much-needed momentum into the Doha
trade round. Tensions could spill over into other areas of transatlantic
relations.

Furthermore, a US victory could prove pyrrhic. It would risk turning EU
opinion even more strongly against genetically modified organisms - and the
WTO - and kill off faltering European Commission attempts to restart the
approvals process.

The US might then seek WTO approval to retaliate against European exports.
That could further enrage the EU and lead it to activate $4bn (£2.49bn) of
sanctions against the US, authorised in a separate dispute over an American
corporate tax law.

Washington is keenly aware of the dangers. Indeed, the issue is so
sensitive that George W. Bush's cabinet may take the final decision,
probably later this month. However, Mr Zoellick's outspoken comments
suggest he is confident a WTO case will be launched.

Mr Zoellick has made clear that his patience snapped late last year, when
Zambia and Zimbabwe spurned offers of emergency US food aid that could
contain GM corn, saying that accepting it could jeopardise their
agricultural exports to the EU. He accused the EU of "immoral" behaviour,
claiming some member states had linked their aid to African rejection of GM
foods.

"The reason the logjam has finally broken is that this is no longer about
Europe but about Africa, India and the rest of the world," said a US
official.

US trade officials see parallels with their successful WTO challenge in the
1990s to the EU's ban on hormone-treated beef. Although the ban has not
been lifted, they say the WTO ruling discouraged other countries from
imposing similar curbs.

A US challenge on GM products would pose an even bigger test than the
hormones case for the WTO's still sketchy jurisprudence on food safety. It
would target the EU's de facto moratorium on new GM crop approvals imposed
in 1998, and possibly a proposed directive requiring the traceability and
labelling of GM products put on sale. However, legal experts are divided
over the prospects for US success. The moratorium could be difficult to
attack, because it is semi-official and not based on firm legislation, and
the planned directive is not yet law.

"The US does not have a cast-iron case. It has a toehold case," says John
Jackson of Washington's Georgetown University, a leading authority on world
trade law. "I don't think current WTO rules can handle a case on GM
products. There has to be a negotiation."

Nonetheless, he and other lawyers believe that even if the WTO did not
uphold all its arguments, Washington might win enough to get the moratorium
condemned.

Some in Brussels also doubt whether a case would go their way. David Byrne,
the health and consumer protection commissioner, has acknowledged the EU's
defence would be based on "very narrow grounds".

The Commission still hopes it can fend off US threats by showing that the
EU is moving to open its market. Last month, in a symbolic gesture, it used
its powers under existing legislation to approve two oils derived from GM
cotton.

Brussels insists the best way to get the moratorium lifted is through small
steps, designed gradually to win over EU ministers and reassure public
opinion, environmentalists and other campaigners hostile to GM foods.

However, the strategy will only work if EU governments co-operate. Even
optimists in Brussels are unsure that they will. "This is an area where
there are no guarantees," says one official. "Every prediction we have made
so far has been confounded." Additional reporting by Edward Alden in
Washington

TITLE:  EuropaBio meets with Commissioners to discuss GM defacto moratorium
SOURCE: Cordis RTD News / European Communities
        http://dbs.cordis.lu/cgi-bin/srchidadb?CALLER=NHP_EN_NEWS&ACTION=
        D&SESSION=&RCN=EN_RCN_ID:19540
DATE:   Jan 14, 2003

EuropaBio meets with Commissioners to discuss GM defacto moratorium

Members of EuropaBio, the European Association for Bioindustries, met on 13
January 2003 with EU Commissioners for Environment, Agriculture and Health,
Margot Wallström, Franz Fischler and David Byrne respectively, to discuss
the ongoing de facto moratorium on genetically modified (GM) products and
by-products.

The de facto moratorium on GM products in Europe has been imposed since
1999 as a precautionary measure towards marketing GM products.

During the meeting, Europabio members reiterated its concerns about
continuing to impose such tight constraints on GM goods, calling for the
need to strike a balance between the interests of the environment and,
consumers, industry and authorities.

The Commissioners indicated that new legislative initiatives for labelling
and traceability of GM products, as well as regulation measures on GM foods
for human and animal consumption would, they hope, pave the way for the
lifting of the de facto moratorium and allow Member States to authorise
marketing for GM products again.

However, according to the Commissioners, in order to introduce such
regulatory measures, Member States who have opposed GM products need to
review their position. The Commissioners also called on enterprises to make
more efforts in informing the public about GM products as well as revising
previous GMO marketing requests with a view to disseminating them to
national governments.

It is hoped that the outcome of the paper will help in developing a common
position among the Member States on GM labelling and traceability. The
European Parliament's second reading of these papers is expected in late
summer 2003.

For more information about EuropaBio, please visit the following web
address:
http://www.europabio.org/pages/index.asp

Category: Miscellaneous
Data Source Provider: European Commission
Document Reference: Based on information from the European Commission

RCN: 19540