3-Food: Firm seeks OK to sell cloned meat in Canada

TITLE:  Firm seeks OK to sell cloned meat
        Health Canada studying risks of mystery company's request
SOURCE: The Ottawa Citizen, Canada, by Kate Jaimet
        http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=24c5e818-cb1a-4fcb-b2fc-
631d985cedb1
DATE:   Jan 12, 2003

Firm seeks OK to sell cloned meat
Health Canada studying risks of mystery company's request

A livestock company has asked Health Canada whether it can sell meat from
cloned animals for human consumption.

Karen McIntyre, acting director for Health Canada's Bureau of Food Policy
Integration, said the department began considering the request several
months ago. "A company has come to us and said: 'We want to do this,' " she
said.

Ms. McIntyre said she could not reveal the name of the company or even the
type of cloned meat it hopes to market.

No formal application to sell the meat in Canada has been made yet, but Ms.
McIntyre said a government committee, with experts from the departments of
Health, Environment, Agriculture, and Fisheries, has been set up to study
the question of cloned foods.

"For us, it's related to health and safety. What are the risks associated
with cloned animals?" she said. "That's what we're exploring right now."

Two livestock companies in the United States -- Prolinia in Athens, Georgia
and Cyagra in Worcester, Massachusetts -- are already working on producing
cloned pigs and cattle.

At its most extreme, the promise of cloned livestock is to create the
ultimate in factory farming. Instead of having a herd of cattle with
offspring of various shapes and sizes, the farmer could pick the meatiest
adult animal, have it cloned, impregnate all of the cows with the same
clone, and end up with a herd of identical calves yielding identical cuts
of meat.

The problem is that current techniques are imperfect: cloning is much more
expensive than conventional breeding, and there is a higher rate of birth
defects, miscarriages, and deaths. As well, the lack of genetic diversity
could make the herd not viable.

Or, a company could clone a prize bull to breed dairy cows, and consumers
could find themselves drinking the milk of those cows. The Wisconsin-based
Infigen Inc. is already breeding a herd of such cows.

No products of cloned animals or their descendants are now on the market in
Canada or the United States. The American Food and Drug Administration is
also examining the question of cloned meat, and expects to publish its
opinion later this month.

"At present, the position we're for the most part taking is that we need to
err on the side of caution," said Dave Trus, a geneticist at Agriculture
and Agri-Food Canada who sits on the interdepartmental committee.

Even if a cloned animal is healthy and appears the same as any other
animal, there could be undetected changes inside its cells, said Francois
Pothier, a professor in the department of animal sciences at Universite
Laval in Quebec City.

In cloning, the genetic material of an adult cell is injected into an egg
cell whose own genetic material has been removed, he explained. In order to
create a baby clone, the egg cell must "turn back" the biological clock of
the adult cell to zero. During that process, genetic errors can be made. It
is possible, for example, that the cloned animal's cells could overproduce
a certain protein, which may not be harmful to the animal, but could have
harmful consequences on humans.

"If the clone seems normal, in my opinion there should not be any problem
with eating the animal. But we can't be certain there aren't modifications
inside the cell of the animal," Mr. Pothier said. "We do not have the
proof. As long as we don't have the proof, I think agencies like Health
Canada might prefer to take a route of precaution."

He said tests exist to determine the chemical composition of meat, which
should tell regulators whether the meat from the cloned animal is identical
to that of the original animal.

But as Health Canada prepares for the day when it will have to decide
whether to approve cloned food for human consumption, the department's past
record in dealing with genetically novel foods does not inspire confidence,
said Brian Ellis, associate director of the biotechnology laboratory at the
University of British Columbia, and co-chairman of the Royal Society of
Canada's expert panel on the future of food biotechnology.

"We have real concerns about the extent of testing that is being done on
these products of biotechnology," he said.

Ms. McIntyre said Health Canada scientists perform a "comprehensive review"
before they approve any new food product. Department spokesman Ryan Baker
added that the public will have input before any new regulations are
developed regarding cloned meat.

Mr. Ellis said that cloned meat may be safer to eat than genetically
modified foods because scientists do not directly tamper with the genes.

But Mr. Ellis said consumers still have a right to be critical, because
Health Canada's approval process is not sufficiently rigorous or open to
public scrutiny.

"A big issue from my point of view is the erosion of public confidence,
because of the lack of transparency," he said.