2-Plants: Syngenta introduces Vip-Cotton in the U.S.

TITLE:  Syngenta Plans to Introduce a New Choice for Transgenic Control of
        Worms in Cotton
        Vip CottonŠ Contains a Recently Discovered Insecticidal Protein
        with a Novel Mode of Action
SOURCE: Syngenta, USA, Media Release
        http://www.syngentacropprotection-us.com/media/
article.asp?article_id=303
DATE:   Jan 7, 2003

Syngenta Plans to Introduce a New Choice for Transgenic Control of Worms in
Cotton
Vip CottonŠ Contains a Recently Discovered Insecticidal Protein with a
Novel Mode of Action

NASHVILLE, TENN. - American cotton growers should soon have a new choice
for transgenic control of worms in cotton. Vip CottonŠ has been submitted
for registration with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Syngenta
anticipates registration in time for U.S. commercial sales in 2004. Vip
Cotton contains a recently discovered vegetative insecticidal protein (Vip)
that controls targets pests through a novel mode of action. It offers broad-
spectrum, full season control of major lepidopteran pests, including
bollworm and tobacco budworm. In addition, research to date shows it will
offer significant control of most Spodoptera species, such as fall armyworm
and beet armyworm. "After years of study, Vip Cotton is expected to be our
first introduction into the transgenic cotton market, and we're looking
forward to making it available to growers in the United States first," said
Ken Flower, Syngenta global seed and traits manager for cotton. "This new
technology will have an immediate impact as an alternative to what is
currently available and promises to offer even more benefits as our
research continues. The anticipated introduction of Vip Cotton will add an
important new dimension to the Syngenta cotton product line, which we feel
is already among the industry's most comprehensive." Current transgenic
traits utilize proteins from the Bacillus thuringiensis bacterium known as
d-endotoxins. Bt d-endotoxins were discovered in the early 1900s, and have
been used in many insect control applications. Discovered by Syngenta in
1994, the Vip protein is an exotoxin derived from the Bacillus
thuringiensis bacterium. As an exotoxin, the Vip protein is structurally,
functionally and biochemically different than Bt d-endotoxins, making Vip
Cotton a potential choice to minimize the threat of insect resistance. The
Vip protein is expressed in the entire cotton plant, including the floral
parts, to provide complete plant protection. When pest larvae feed on Vip
Cotton, the protein is ingested and causes the larvae to stop feeding and
soon die. Independent university trials of Vip Cotton were conducted in
Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Arkansas and North Carolina in
2002. Further extensive testing is planned for 2003. "Despite heavy
bollworm pressure in North Carolina in 2002, Vip Cotton delivered effective
control throughout the season," said J.R. Bradley, professor of entomology
at North Carolina State University.

*Important Notice: The brand name under which this product will be offered
for sale is currently in development. Vip Cotton is not currently
registered for sale or use in the United States and it is therefore not
being offered for sale. The present presentation does not constitute an
offer for sale. Vip Cotton will not be available for sale until EPA has
approved registration and all necessary authorizations have been granted.

Vip Cotton and the Syngenta logo are trademarks of a Syngenta Group Company.

Syngenta is a world-leading agribusiness. The company ranks first in crop
protection, and third in the high-value commercial seeds market. Sales in
2001 were approximately US $6.3 billion. Syngenta employs more than 20,000
people in over 50 countries. The company is committed to sustainable
agriculture through innovative Research and Technology. Syngenta is listed
on the Swiss stock exchange and in London, New York and Stockholm. Further
information is available at www.syngentacropprotection.com.

This press release contains forward-looking statements, which can be
identified by terminology such as "expect," "would," "will," "potential,"
"plans," "prospects," "estimated," "aiming," "on track" and similar
expressions. Such statements may be subject to risks and uncertainties that
could cause the actual results to differ materially from these statements.
We refer you to Syngenta's publicly available filings with the U.S.
Securities and Exchange Commission for information about these and other
risks and uncertainties. Syngenta assumes no obligation to update forward-
looking statements to reflect actual results, changed assumptions or other
factors. This release does not constitute, or form part of, any offer or
invitation to sell or issue, or any solicitation of any offer, to purchase
or subscribe for any ordinary shares in Syngenta AG, or Syngenta ADSs, nor
shall it form the basis of, or be relied on in connection with, any
contract therefore.