6-Regulation: Plugging the holes in biotech food safety

TITLE:  Plugging The Holes in Biotech Food Safety
        FDA Needs Authority To Assure Safety Of GE Foods, Says Report
SOURCE: Center for Science in the Public Interest, USA, Press Release
        http://www.cspinet.org/new/200301071.html
DATE:   Jan 7, 2003

Plugging The Holes in Biotech Food Safety
FDA Needs Authority To Assure Safety Of GE Foods, Says Report

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) lacks both the authority and the
information to adequately evaluate the safety of genetically engineered
(GE) foods, according to the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public
Interest (CSPI). A new report from the group says that while the few GE
food crops now on the market appear to be safe, the FDA is ill-equipped to
assure the safety of future foods that will be engineered in increasingly
complex ways.

Currently, biotechnology companies are encouraged - but not required - to
submit safety-testing data to the FDA for its review. CSPI's examination of
14 such submissions obtained under the Freedom of Information Act found
that companies sometimes refused FDA requests for more information.
Monsanto, CIBA-Geigy (now Syngenta), and Dow AgroSciences, for instance,
each declined to provide requested scientific data to the FDA about strains
of genetically engineered insect-resistant corn.

"The voluntary notification process by which the FDA reviews safety data
for new crops allows biotechnology companies to safely ignore FDA requests
for more information," said Doug Gurian-Sherman, science director of CSPI's
biotechnology project and the report's author. "Without a legally mandated
approval process, the FDA can only review whatever data that a company lets
it review."

The report also found technical shortcomings in the safety data provided by
biotech companies, as well as some obvious errors that the FDA failed to
detect. Submissions from Exelixis (formerly Agitrope) about GE delayed-
ripening tomatoes and cantaloupe, for example, contained erroneous and
unsupported conclusions that went unremarked upon by the FDA. The CSPI
report also found that one GE developer used inadequate methodology to test
for allergens, and that others failed to evaluate toxicants and anti-
nutrients. Errors like those might have been caught by observers outside
the government, says Gurian-Sherman, had the process not been secret.

The first recommendation in the CSPI report is to replace the voluntary
notification system with a mandatory pre-market approval system that
requires biotechnology companies to submit much more detailed testing
information and obtain FDA approval before marketing the product.
Legislation that would do exactly that was introduced last fall by Senator
Dick Durbin (D-IL), who is expected to reintroduce the bill this year.

Even without legislation, says CSPI, the FDA can take steps to give
consumers greater confidence that the GE foods the agency reviews are safe.
Most basically, the FDA should develop detailed safety testing guidelines
for biotech developers.

"We found that biotech companies weren't always performing the right tests
to look for potentially dangerous compounds, including allergens, and that
there was a great deal of unevenness among different developers'
submissions," said Gurian-Sherman. "But the FDA isn't giving companies
enough guidance about what tests companies should conduct, or how much data
companies should provide."

GE crops have the potential to provide enormous benefits to both consumers
and the environment, according to CSPI's report. But the group warns that
the technology's life span would be short if dangerous biotech products
were to show up on supermarket shelves.

"The public will - and should - only have confidence in GE foods if the
government formally approves them as safe after a thorough and transparent
review," said Gurian-Sherman. "The biotech industry itself should be
clamoring for that kind of a process."

On Tuesday, Gurian-Sherman will present CSPI's concerns at a meeting of a
committee of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) that is reviewing some
of the food-safety aspects of GE crops. "I hope the NAS committee will
provide the FDA and industry with specific advice on the kinds of tests
that should be done," Gurian-Sherman said.

[download report at http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/fda_report_final.pdf]

TITLE:  FDA Policies for Gene-Altered Foods Faulted in Report
SOURCE: The Washington Post, USA, by Justin Gillis
        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19370-2003Jan6.html
DATE:   Jan 7, 2003

FDA Policies for Gene-Altered Foods Faulted in Report

Excessive levels of harmful compounds could show up in genetically
engineered foods because the government has failed to put strong safeguards
in place to catch them, a consumer group says in a report scheduled for
release today.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), a Washington group
known for a moderate stance on the use of genetic engineering to alter food
plants, contends that the Food and Drug Administration, the primary federal
agency responsible for food safety, missed "obvious errors" in reviewing
some gene-altered crops. Although crops now on the market appear to be safe
to eat, the group said the FDA's procedures are so full of holes that
continued safety cannot be ensured as companies press to bring many more
genetically engineered plants to market.

"The companies don't provide enough data to prove these foods are safe,"
said Gregory A. Jaffe, director of biotechnology issues at the center. "And
FDA's review process doesn't give you a lot of comfort that they've looked
at it closely and challenged the companies."

Laura Tarantino, deputy director of food-additive safety at the FDA,
rejected the group's contentions, saying companies have provided all the
data on their crops that the agency deemed important. She said FDA staffers
were well aware of the possibility that genetic engineering could increase
levels of harmful compounds in food. She called this a "very hypothetical
risk" and said she did not believe it had happened with any crop now on the
market. She added, however, that the FDA was studying whether it should
make changes in the way it reviews such foods as more move toward
commercialization.

The food-processing industry also rejected the report's conclusions, saying
the current regulatory setup gives the FDA maximum "flexibility" to ensure
that foods are safe.

The center's report is designed to influence an unfolding public debate
about the way the nation regulates genetically altered crops. At the
request of the FDA and other federal agencies, a panel of the National
Academy of Sciences, meeting today in Washington, is studying whether such
crops could have unintended consequences for human nutrition.

Much of the concern centers on "anti-nutrients," or harmful compounds
common in many food crops. Typically such compounds are present only at
minuscule levels. But when crops are genetically altered there is at least
a theoretical risk that the level of anti-nutrients could increase, making
consumption of that plant more harmful. The FDA has failed to establish
firm procedures requiring companies to test for such harmful changes, the
report said.

The center said the FDA's review process is an outgrowth of the nation's
lax approach to dealing with genetically altered crops. Congress has never
passed a law to regulate plants or animals created through genetic
engineering, and, as a result, federal agencies have had to stretch old
laws, written for other purposes, to create a patchwork system of rules.

Some gene-altered food plants, particularly if they contain foreign genes
to help them fight bugs, fall under regulations requiring their creators to
get mandatory approval from the Environmental Protection Agency before
going to market. But others fall solely under the FDA's food-safety
jurisdiction, and that agency has adopted only voluntary procedures for
companies to follow in assuring the public their products are safe.

The food industry likes this voluntary system. Environmental groups,
suspicious of all genetic manipulation of plants or animals, have long
decried it. CSPI is one of the few consumer-oriented groups that supports
genetic manipulation in principle but argues that the voluntary system must
be scrapped.

For the report, CSPI reviewers studied about a quarter of all the cases
where gene-altered plants have come before the FDA for review. In many
instances, the report said, the FDA requested information on the
nutritional composition of a plant that industry failed to provide. In
three of 14 cases, CSPI reviewers found "obvious errors" in FDA analyses of
certain food crops. For instance, certain scientific papers -- cited to
prove that human exposure to a particular foreign protein in gene-altered
tomatoes and cantaloupes was safe -- don't actually prove anything of the
sort, the center said. "Had FDA conducted thorough reviews, the errors
would have been easily detected," the report said.

Tarantino of the FDA said she had not seen the CSPI report and could not
respond to the claim. But there is routine give-and-take between the FDA
and companies about the quality of scientific evidence, she added, and the
agency will not bless crops for commercialization until it is satisfied.

CSPI called for a tighter system involving mandatory review of new products
and a detailed statistical analysis of risks -- in essence, a version of
the rigorous drug-approval process for which the FDA is widely respected.

Timothy Willard, a spokesman for the National Food Processors Association,
said the food industry would support some changes, including making some
type of FDA review mandatory. But he noted that no company has opted out of
the current voluntary process, which has worked to date.

                                  PART III

TITLE:  FDA cannot ensure safety of biotech foods - US group
SOURCE: Reuters, by Randy Fabi
DATE:   Jan 9, 2003

FDA cannot ensure safety of biotech foods - US group

WASHINGTON - The Food and Drug Administration cannot guarantee the safety
of genetically modified foods because it is unable to obtain all scientific
data from biotech companies, a consumer group said.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest said companies like Monsanto
Co., Syngenta AG and Dow Chemical Co.'s Dow AgroSciences all declined to
provide requested scientific data to the FDA about strains of genetically
engineered insect-resistant corn.

U.S. biotech companies are encouraged, but not required, to submit food
safety testing data to federal regulators for review. When the FDA
requested additional information, biotech companies complied only half the
time, according to an analysis of FDA data by the advocacy group.

"With a legally mandated approval process, the FDA can only review whatever
data that a company lets it review," said Doug Gurian-Sherman, the group's
science director and author of the report.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, which supports biotech
crops, said gene-spliced foods currently being marketed appeared to be safe
for consumers. However, it said the FDA was "ill-equipped" to assure the
safety of more complex biotech foods in the future.

FDA officials were not immediately available for comment.

BIOTECH INDUSTRY DISAGREES

The Biotechnology Industry Organization, which represents companies such as
Monsanto, Syngenta and Dow Chemical, said its members submit all necessary
scientific data requested by the FDA.

Lisa Dry, the trade group's spokeswoman, said if certain information was
not given, the FDA has the power to not allow the marketing of a biotech
product.

"The FDA has all the authority necessary to collect information from
manufacturers and to ensure consumers the food supply is safe," she said.

The industry does support some changes in the regulatory system to ease
consumer concerns, including requiring companies submit more detailed
testing information.

The United States is the world's largest producer of crops that are
genetically modified to make them resistant to pests, or to withstand
herbicides used to kill nearby weeds.

Some U.S. trading partners, especially from Europe and southern Africa,
have imposed strict rules on genetically modified crops due to concerns
that they may be toxic and cause allergies. The United States strongly
disputes these claims.

The FDA's stamp of approval on biotech foods are key to consumer
acceptance, both advocates and critics say.

The report also found gaps in the scientific data provided to the FDA by
biotech companies.

"We found that biotech companies weren't always performing the right tests
to look for potentially dangerous compounds, including allergens," Gurian-
Sherman said.

The center's concerns were presented this week before a panel of the
National Academy of Sciences, which is studying the unintended health
effects of biotech foods. The panel's conclusions will be presented to the
FDA and the U.S. Agriculture Department.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest recommended the FDA require
biotech companies submit more detailed testing information and obtain
federal approval before marketing their product.

Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat, is expected to introduce
legislation later this year that would give the FDA this authority, the
consumer group said.

Concerns about biotech foods grabbed headlines two years ago when banned
StarLink corn was found to have entered the U.S. food chain, sparking
massive recalls of hundreds of corn products from grocery store shelves
across the country.

Last month, the variety was found in a U.S. corn shipment bound for Japan's
food supply.