9-Misc: Australia going to crush unlicenced GE feed-aid from the U.S.

TITLE:  REJECTED GE CORN DUMPED IN AUSTRALIA
SOURCE: GeneEthics Network, Australia, press Release
        http://www.brisbane.indymedia.org.au/front.php3?article_id=3673&
        group=webcast
DATE:   Jan 8, 2003

REJECTED GE CORN DUMPED IN AUSTRALIA

Fifty thousand tonnes of US corn containing genetically engineered (GE)
varieties arrives in Brisbane today on the Ocean Emperor (into Newcastle
and Melbourne later) for use as chicken feed. The Gene Technology Regulator
licensed the cargo even though some GE lines have not been assessed or
approved in Australia. "Japan and Europe reject US corn over environmental,
human, and animal health concerns, and India and Zambia will not accept it
as food aid," says GeneEthics Network Director, Bob Phelps. "We therefore
call on the Australian government to send this ship and its suspect load
back to the USA," he says.

"US GE corn is not needed here as animal feed, even for drought relief, as
350,000 tonnes of imported GE-free wheat and sorghum are also approved and
Australian grains are available," he says.

"GE corn also poses economic risks for Australian food exporters as Europe
and some Asian markets reject foods (meat, milk, eggs and honey, etc) from
animals fed GE grains," he says.

"Products from animals fed GE would be labeled in Europe but not here," he
says.

"GE corn imports affront the 68% of Australians who want to reject foods
made with gene technology," he says.

"And the 93% of Australian shoppers who want all GE foods labeled are
outraged by the lack of meaningful labels on any GE products here," he says.

"Though the corn will be processed on arrival, so it may not contaminate
Australia, full public assessments of the animal and human health issues
should have been required before the licence was granted," he says.

"For example, breeding sows in the USA fail to conceive when fed GE corn
containing insect toxin, which the Regulator is still assessing," he says.

"Send this GE corn back to the USA till it's proven safe and saleable," Mr
Phelps concludes.

More comment
Bob Phelps 03 9347 4500
John Hepburn (Greenpeace) 02 9263 0302

TITLE:  Grain to get anti-GM treatment
SOURCE: Sydney Morning Herald, Australia, by Mark Metherell
        http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/08/1041990000063.html
DATE:   Jan 9, 2003

Grain to get anti-GM treatment

A 48,000-tonne shipment of US corn likely to contain genetically modified
(GM) grain is to be crushed and steamed to prevent the uncontrolled spread
of GM seed in Australia. The grain, imported for poultry food, is due to
arrive in Brisbane by sea this morning. It is the first shipment of corn
subjected to Australia's GM safeguards. The unusual import of the grain has
been triggered by feed shortages caused by the drought. But the anti-GM
group, the GeneEthics Network, has called on the Australian Government to
send the shipment back as GM-free supplies were available. A Health
Department spokeswoman said the corn would be milled, steamed and made into
pellets in a high-security process which would prevent GM seed germinating
in Australia. She said GM elements would be destroyed by the process and
there was no scientific evidence to suggest the GM content would pass on to
the poultry. But the Australian Consumers Association head, Louise Sylvan,
said even if there was no GM residue in resulting human food, consumers had
a right to know GM ingredients were used in food production and this was
not provided for by Australia's labelling laws.