3-Food: U.S. Department of Agriculture cannot detect StarLink in exports to Japan

TITLE:  GIPSA Says Tests Here Were Negative for StarLink in Shipment to
Japan
SOURCE: Agweb, USA, by Roger Bernard
        http://www.agweb.com/news_show_news_article.asp?file=AgNewsArticle_
        200317823_236&articleID=94189&newscat=GN
DATE:   Jan 7, 2003

GIPSA Says Tests Here Were Negative for StarLink in Shipment to Japan

USDA's Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA) said
it is continuing to work with Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor, and
Welfare (MHLW) to investigate the recent report that StarLink corn was
detected in a portion of a U.S. export shipment.

On December 27, 2002, the Japanese MHLW reported a positive test for
StarLink in a 1,200-ton portion of a 19,234-ton shipment. This is the first
shipment to test positive since a protocol was developed and implemented in
2000, following the discovery of StarLink in U.S. grain. MHLW has now
indicated that it will increase the rate of testing of future shipments.

"GIPSA continues to investigate this situation. At this point, we have
determined that the buyer's and seller's contract, which required the
shipment to be tested prior to export, was followed," according to Dave
Shipman, Deputy Administrator for the Federal Grain Inspection Service.
"The barges that made up this shipment were tested under conditions that
met the established protocol, and were conducted by a network of official
agencies designated by GIPSA to perform official inspection services. All
test results were negative."

GIPSA administers a monitoring program to evaluate the accuracy of StarLink
testing services provided by its designated agencies. The most recent
report shows the agencies' accuracy rate was 97.9 percent. Japan
implemented a program in April 2001 to monitor for the presence of StarLink
in food corn shipments imported from the United States. This is this first
time MHLW has reported a positive test result.

"GIPSA's StarLink testing program has been extremely successful during the
past 2 years to assure buyers and sellers alike that our corn exports are
negative for StarLink," said Shipman. "While our initial investigation
indicates that testing requirements were met or exceeded, we are continuing
to work with MHLW to determine the reasons for the differing test results.
Our goal is to ensure an effective and reliable system and we hope this
investigation will provide additional information to continue to maintain a
strong testing program."